It’s Been a Minute with Sam Sanders is a podcast and radio show heard weekly by more than 900,000 people. The show is new and still growing. Sam wraps up every week with a group of panelists, and conducts long from interviews with actors, writers, and musicians. His curiosity and empathy have built a strong connection with listeners. Now we’re looking for someone to help us grow and think about new directions for the show.
You devour news and pop culture. You talk about it all with your friends, and are always asking questions about the world. You are a creative producer with new ideas about audio. You can cut tape, write, produce, and do it all quickly. You’re experienced and ready to be the lead producer on a show with a terrific host and team. You’re excited about making something new.
This job can be based in Washington, DC or Los Angeles, CA.
• Participate in editorial planning of program, including episode topic selection, story ideas, and selection/booking of guests.
• With the team, evolve the sound and focus of the show. Create new segments.
• Produce and mix the show.
• Act as coach and mentor for staff, assisting their productions for the program.
• Work on major, long-term projects, as well as short deadline pieces, sometimes simultaneously.
• Ensure that all content complies with NPR’s standards for accuracy and fairness.
• Assume other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience.
• At least five years’ experience producing on Dalet, Cool Edit, ProTools, or similar broadcast digital audio workstations.
• At least five years’ experience in podcasting or broadcasting.
• At least three years’ experience in editorial decision making with demonstrated ability to exercise solid, independent news judgment.
• Demonstrated ability to work efficiently under deadline pressure.
• Ability to handle multiple and complex projects simultaneously under stringent timeframes.
• Familiarity with a range of subject areas such as news and pop culture.
• Understanding of journalistic ethics. Experience maintaining high journalistic standards under deadline pressure, including standards of objectivity, balance and fairness.
• Strong oral communication skills.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system
• Critical Thinking
• Building Stakeholder Relationships
• Managing Complexity