The Fond du Lac Action Reporter/fdlreporter.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK-Wisconsin, is seeking Part-Time Editorial Assistant to join our team.
This position serves a crucial role by being a liaison between the community and the pages of Network papers.
This job chiefly entails writing at least one feature story per week, processing and editing submitted material to convert it to the standard of quality that readers expect and working with other team members to produce the network’s weekly publications.
It is a part-time role perfect for a candidate looking to become a full-time reporter or editor for USA TODAY NETWORK-Wisconsin.
• Re-writing, editing and processing press releases.
• Writing one feature story per week minimum; more if time allows.
• Using both Presto and Newsgate software.
• Communicating with producers, designers, editors and reporters via email and instant messenger.
• Other duties and special projects, as assigned.
• High School Diploma/G.E.D.
• A firm grasp of AP style and the ability to learn the news organizations’ style.
• Ability to write clearly and cleanly, and to do effective research on a variety of general-interest topics.
• Ability to type cleanly and quickly, as well as find and correct errors in existing text.
• Ability to function under daily deadlines to produce daily and weekly publications.
• Customer service skills to communicate with the public.
• Comfort with Windows operating systems and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, etc.), willingness and ability to learn news-related software as needed.
• Excellent time-management skills and a drive to organize content.