Carnival Films is a division of NBCUniversal International Studios and one of the UK’s leading drama specialists. The company is responsible for the global television phenomenon Downton Abbey and current primetime series such as The Last Kingdom for Netflix, Jamestown for Sky One and upcoming Belgravia for ITV / EPIX. The company is currently producing the Downton Abbey movie, with Focus Features and Universal Pictures International distributing. Other shows produced over Carnival’s history include Poirot, Hotel Babylon, Whitechapel and Dracula, as well as award-winning mini-series such as Traffik, Any Human Heart, The Lost Honour of Christopher Jefferies and The Hollow Crownanthology. Carnival has received a host of national and international awards including Primetime Emmys, Golden Globes and BAFTAs, and has been recognized as the UK’s best production company at both the Bulldog Awards and Broadcast Awards.
We are seeking a commercially minded and business savvy, qualified solicitor. Experience must include some in-house business affairs exposure in a UK scripted production company or US Studio with a magic or silver circle legal background
The role requires a high energy, reliable and pro-active team member, joining 2 experienced lawyers and a paralegal in the Business team at Carnival
Experience in commercial environments is imperative, with a natural aptitude for the interactivity between the creative, commercial, production and corporate worlds. Responsibilities will include involvement in development and production of scripted television programming, covering all aspects including:
• Negotiating deals with key personnel in the UK and internationally, in the development and production fields, such as writers, authors, development producers, directors, actors, composers and producers
• Handling issues relating to rights clearance, IP infringement and compliance
• Assisting in the preparation of broadcaster, co-production and tax incentive deals
• Negotiating and drafting ancillary deals relating to scripted productions including the exploitation of digital media rights, publication rights, merchandising and licensing rights, soundtrack album rights and any related sponsorship arrangements
• Liaising internally with teams in our sister studios and distribution businesses, as well as with creative and production personnel within Carnival
• Presenting, organising and reporting in respect of all of the above, for internal and external purposes, with proficient skills in document management and all standard IT skills including Word and Excel.
The role requires someone who:
• Inspires trust in others and is solutions-orientated, able to translate intricate deals into the day to day production environment
• Has emotional intelligence and professionalism and is genuinely approachable, understanding, communicative and dynamic
• Is highly organised, fast and efficient - presents clearly and gets to the point
• Has a multi-disciplinary approach, can join the dots and is able to work with a diverse team production and development teams through professional advisers, marketeers, HR, PR, distribution, tax and finance
• Autonomous and readily assumes responsibility - is self-motivated and a natural multi-tasker
• Enjoys solving commercial and corporate problems - learns quickly and has clarity of thought
• Committed/dedicated to the team and will always go the extra mile
• Is able to self-manage and also to operate in a supportive team environment, instinctively feeding in to the improvement of the team’s systems, templates and processes where applicable
Suitable candidates must be able to demonstrate as much of the above through their CV (both in respect of professional path and extra-curricular achievements) and in interview.