NBC Media Engineering Group spans production and content fulfillment areas across NBC Universal. The group has responsibility for all technical systems used for Production, Distribution, and Media Prep in Englewood Cliffs, NJ. This department is heavily involved in the technical design & support across all infrastructure systems and applications for fulfillment to VOD platforms, On-Air distribution, and post production as well as sustaining excellence across the NBC facilities. The Director of Media Engineering will be responsible for providing front line sustainability for all production and media prep systems across Englewood Cliffs, NJ. The core responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
The Director of Media Engineering is responsible for the overall management, design, budgeting, technical direction, and successful coordination of all production engineering activities across diverse teams in Englewood Cliffs, NJ.
• Direct Management of infrastructure and application engineers and running technical build/support/maintenance.
• Operational budget preparation, management, and driving capital project timelines.
• Implementation of standards, controls, processes and technologies that ensure a high degree of availability and reliability for the production system environments.
• Building and articulating future technical requirements and recommendations.
• Identify and plan for operational risks relative to production requirements over short to medium term.
• Vendor management by monitoring performance, providing feedback, championing new projects, and defining or approving/disapproving change control processes.
• Provide employee reviews and goal setting as required. Set department goals based on Technology and Company goals.
• Project Management to specification on-time and on-budget.
• Operational risks management and just in time (JIT) operational changes based on requirements.
• Outage management across operational partners and client base.
• Lead investigations of outages and issues in Media Fulfillment and Post Production systems and their integration points to identify systematic issues and root causes
• An Associate Degree in a relevant technical discipline, or certificate from an accredited technical training institution.
• System management experience running infrastructure and applications.
• Knowledge of SDI Video/IP Protocols.
• Excellent verbal and documentation skills
• Running point on all outage responses, directing engineers and clients through to issue resolution.
• Audio/Video production system internals and design considerations.
• Video transcoding systems; design, configuration and management.
• Internet client/server protocol technologies and web technologies.
• Computing and network systems, standards, applications and methodologies.
• Storage Area Networks and archive technologies (SAN, NAS, LTO, Fibre Channel, and Object Storage)
• Program/Project Management - Ability to communicate complicated technical issues in a straightforward and concise manner.
• 5+ years of experience managing a team and several substantial projects.
• Minimum 5 years working with IT systems, with a solid understanding of network protocols and standards (e.g. DNS, TCP, HTTP, FTP, SSH, UDP).
• Understanding of technologies, content flow, and distribution to the web (e.g. CMS, Closed Captioning, Social Media, Transcode)
• Understanding of various file formats: QuickTime, Windows Media, MPEG50, MPEG2, MPEG4, XDCAMHD, DNX, AppleProRes, 4K, UHD, HDR etc.
• Familiarity with broadcast production or video productions systems, including basic knowledge of non-liner editing tools.
• Strong leadership skills
• Strong interpersonal skills & adeptness at building relationships with all technical and operational areas across NBC Universal.
• Experience with various OS levels (Linux, Windows, Windows Server, CentOS)
• Experience with various databases (Oracle, SQL, MongoDB)
• Cloud Experience (AWS, GCP, Azure)