The Digital Producer creates content for digital platforms at KGET in Bakersfield, California. Content can be written or video stories or other material presented on web and social media.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
KGET/Telemundo Bakersfield has an opening for a digital content producer.
This is a full-time, permanent, entry-level job in Bakersfield, 100 miles north of Los Angeles.
This is a job for a journalist who loves using the written word to tell a good story and make the world a better place.
This is a job for someone who understands the future of news. This journalist must be able to write newspaper-style stories under deadline; He or she must be able to shoot video good enough to go on television and operate a camera for live-streaming content. He or she must be understand various CMS platforms and have an intuitive insight into social media in all its forms.
This expert in new media first must be expert in the fundamentals of traditional media: Honesty and accuracy. This means he or she has an intrinsic distain for any conflict of interest, no matter how slight, or even the appearance of conflict. He or she must be devoted to fairness. Accuracy must be gospel.
Additional responsibilites and requirements:
• Develops and leads winning strategy for station content
• Expert understanding of Facebook, Twitter, and other social media platforms
• Reviews copy and will correct errors in content, grammar, and punctuation, following prescribed editorial style and formatting guidelines
• Use our Social Media and Website to build and reinforce brand recognition and drive viewers to television
• Determines a story's emphasis, length, and format, and organizes material accordingly
• Research and analyze background information related to news stories in order to be able to provide complete and accurate information
• Gathers information about events through research, interviews, experience or attendance at political, news, sports, artistic, social or other functions
• Pitches on-brand local and trending stories during morning meetings
• Checks reference materials such as books, news files or public records to obtain relevant facts
• Shoots and edits content for on-air and digital
• Produces reports for all platforms
• Ensures that all content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality
• Builds and calendars digital campaigns to promote local shows and specials.
• Writes stories for the web and other digital platforms
• Performs other duties as assigned
• Finds new ways to use Social Media and our website to engage with viewers
Requirements & Skills:
• Degree in journalism; daily newspaper or news site experience required; live, working web samples and/or print pages preferred
• Proficiency in Associated Press style, Adobe Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and Basic HTML preferred
• CSS, Flash and other relevant technology skills is a plus
• Maintain positive work environment through active team participation and cooperation with co-workers in all departments
• Responds positively to feedback
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
The Digital Producer must be able to sit, conduct telephone conversations, use electronic mail, write letters and memos, conduct face-to-face discussions with individuals or groups, make decisions without supervision, make decisions that impact the results of co-workers, work in close proximity to others, work outdoors in all weather conditions, and work indoors in environmentally controlled conditions. In addition, the Digital Producer must be able to lift, set up and operate equipment weighing up to 50 pounds.
Experience is a significant advantage but not as important as an eagerness to learn. An agile writer with insatiable curiosity would be the perfect candidate.