NBCUniversal is strengthening its engineering team and is seeking a transformational principal engineer to participate with groups that are responsible for the overall strategy, architecture and design of the NBCUniversal enterprise private/public cloud environments. We are seeking a motivated individual with a drive to be on the cutting edge while helping change the culture of IT towards a more nimble and agile methodology leveraging next generation technology platforms. You will have breadth across technology stacks while leveraging a deep hands skillset evaluating and recommending solutions in partnership with engineering and development teams throughout the organization. You will be asked to provide guidance across network, storage, data protection, management, and virtualization teams. Technology focus will involve both on premise and external cloud environments. Technology governance and control are foundational elements to this strategy and this position will play a key role in laying that foundation.
Areas of Responsibility
• Collaborate cross functionally to develop our target state cloud architecture and supporting organization model along with the platform roadmap required to achieve that target state.
• Drive private cloud/ technology discussions and facilitate decision with other teams within the organization.
• Executes POCs and feasibility studies to validate next-gen product concepts and technologies leveraging results to guide business and technology decisions.
• Enforce adherence to architectural standards/principles, global product-specific guidelines, usability design standards, governance, cost controls, etc.
• Drive technical designs to consensus and approval.
• Keep abreast of and gain expertise in the evolving technology and understand how new technologies could be applied
• Stay current with trends and incorporate emerging technology to benefit the platform.
• 5-7 years of experience in all aspects of private cloud computing including infrastructure, storage, platforms and data protection
• Familiarity with aspects of database, web and application technologies
• Expertise in Windows and Linux based operating systems
• Expert in virtualization software, specifically VMware ESXi (6.x and above) & Cisco UCS
• Deep understanding of ITSM process execution and ServiceNow for task tracking and execution
• Thorough understanding of infrastructure automation, continuous integration/deployment and delivery models. Preference in one automation / scripting language (Python, Powershell etc)
• Knowledge of infrastructure design & server infrastructure implementation.
• Experience with networking protocols & concepts
• Balance of strategic and tactical skills and the ability to work on cross-functional teams.
• Ability to write technical documentation (platform architecture, strategy, engineering, business continuity etc.)
• Ability to work on multiple concurrent complex projects and to coordinate the work of others in the architecture space
• Possess an understanding of system testing including platform, integration, load and scale testing.
• Proficient at multitasking and proactive in work responsibilities
• Experience with cloud technologies and respective services (AWS, Azure)
• Ability to create business cases for new technology proposals
• Deep expertise in architecture and transformation strategy as well as product architecture.
• B.S. degree in Information Technology, Business Administration or other technical discipline