Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched local-to-national reach, Gannett touches the lives of more than 110 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include USA TODAY NETWORK with the iconic USA TODAY and more than 100 local media brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal and SweetIQ, and U.K. media company Newsquest. To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
USA TODAY is looking for an editor to oversee coverage of the 2020 presidential election and coordination of content and resources with the 109 properties in the USA TODAY Network.
We’re looking for an editor who is enterprising, innovative and organized, who can spot revelatory enterprise stories while also appreciating the need for urgency – and context and accuracy – with a major breaking news story.
This editor will work closely with the national politics team in Washington as well as politics reporters and editors throughout the country to ensure our coverage of the race includes stories about the candidates as well as the people and places the next president would represent. The challenge? Take our coverage well beyond the horse race and into the homes of Americans.
We also want an editor who can help reporters find and execute stories with impact, and then polish the work to a high sheen through coaching and editing. High-level storytelling and editing skills are a must. Knowledge of politics and Washington are preferred.
We’re looking for someone who:
• Is passionate about politics.
• Will drive innovative storytelling in all formats, from written word to video, audio and graphics.
• Can collaborate with others in the Washington bureau and across the USA TODAY Network’s politics team to identify and execute distinctive journalism.
• Is a team player.
• Has a deep understanding of how to use records and data to answer questions.
• Has the organizational ability to manage multiple reporters and projects and juggle short-term and long-term reporting efforts.
• Uses social and other tools to spot high-interest items ahead of the competition.
• Upholds the highest standards of journalistic integrity and credibility.