UX Design Technologists at Amazon combine UX Design and engineering expertise into a single discipline, and are able to develop, prototype, and test innovative UI solutions that push the envelope on front-end engineering and inspire development teams and leaders to invest in new ideas.
The Amazon.com Core Shopping Experience team is seeking a UX Design Technologist to provide creative and technical expertise within the UX Design practice. In this role you will use a variety of tools and technologies to prototype new ways of interacting and shopping on the web and devices. You will prove UX concepts at a variety of fidelities, including working samples and reference code, throughout the design process. You are well versed in an appropriate mix of development and prototyping platforms and tools, and will select the best and most appropriate platform for the task. When possible, you are able to deliver code on the platform upon which the experience will ship, and you know when doing so is not necessary or practical. You understand the strengths and weaknesses of the delivery platform, and are able to identify opportunities and work creatively within the constraints it imposes.
You will work with a small, highly capable team of designers, researchers and engineers, iterating on concepts that start and end with the customer. You will help design, implement, and refine prototypes that inspire action around the results.
- Actively participate in concept development and design ideation as part of a small team
- Rapidly build and iterate on polished, high fidelity prototypes that express design intent, using the best and most appropriate tools and techniques for the task
- Develop functional prototypes to prove and sell concepts to development teams and senior leadership
- Partner with engineering to ensure that interactive techniques and technologies translate through to shipping products and services
- Be able to work creatively through and around perceived limitations and/or challenges imposed by the delivery platform to create delightful experiences for customers
- Lead large, wide impact projects. Examples could include a specific tool or feature that crosses many disparate areas of the site or product line
- Act as project manager for prototyping efforts
- Participate in annual planning and end-to-end design process
- Evaluate and document any new creative and/or engineering standards or patterns that could arise from your work
- Effectively present work to all levels of leadership.
- BS in Computer Science or related technical field (In lieu of degree, 4 years of relevant work experience)
- At least 3 years experience as a key member of a UI design team participating in the complete product development lifecycle of successfully launched applications
- Detailed experience with CSS layout including responsive design techniques
- Mobile app or mobile web development experience
- Ability to gracefully handle multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to learn new technologies quickly
- Portfolio of work that demonstrates detailed attention to typography, color, imagery, motion, and graphic elements
- Server-side proficiency (Node.js, Python, Ruby, Java)
- Android / iOS app development
- Familiarity with modern CSS frameworks, tools and workflow