WFXR-TV/WWCW-TV in beautiful Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA is seeking a part time AM Camera Operator. This is a great opportunity to hone your skills as part of an evolving news team, as we expand our news product in a BRAND NEW state of the art facility and news studio. He or she will exude professionalism, reliability and good judgement.
Southwest Virginia is home to numerous universities and colleges, including Virginia Tech and their highly acclaimed NCAA Division I athletics program. The picturesque communities are situated in the heart of the Blue Ridge Mountains and near several major metropolitan areas, including Washington, DC and Charlotte, NC.
WFXR is home to the region's only 10:00 pm newscast and the only local newscast from 7:00 to 9:00 am. Now we are ready to expand and serve the viewers of Southwest Virginias like never before. This is a once in a career opportunity to re-launch an established and award winning news operation. We have a new building and new gear is on the way.
The Camera Operator is responsible for operating television cameras to record scenes for live and recorded broadcasts.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Composes and frames shots, applying the technical aspects of light, lenses and camera settings to achieve the effects sought by directors.
• Works with Technical Director to deliver a clean and high energy newscast.
• Adjusts positions and controls of cameras to change focus, exposure and lighting as requested by the director.
• Operates studio cameras during live broadcasts.
• Operates remote cameras during live broadcasts.
• Confers with directors and other crew members to discuss sequences, desired effects, camera movements and lighting requirements.
• Sets up and performs shots for broadcasts.
• Sets up cameras and related equipment.
• Tests, cleans, maintains and repairs camera equipment.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Requirements and Skills:
• Technical degree in Digital Electronics, Broadcasting, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work related experience.
• Fluency in English with excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
• Minimum one year's experience with camera operation in a television broadcasting environment.
• Proficiency with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, fax machines and other office equipment.
• Strong PC/MS Office experience.
• Experience with other broadcast-related equipment.
• Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The Camera Operator must be able to stand, sit, reach, climb, conduct telephone conversations, use electronic mail, write letters and memos, conduct face-to-face discussions with individuals or groups, make decisions without supervision, make decisions that impact the results of co-workers, work in close proximity to others, and work indoors in environmentally controlled conditions. In addition, the Camera Operator must be able to handle, control or feel objects, tools or controls. Repetitive movements are required. Work may be conducted in extremely bright or inadequate lighting conditions. Must be able to lift, set up and operate equipment weighing up to 50 pounds.