The FOX Network, a premier national television broadcaster, is renowned for its combination of appealing primetime entertainment and powerful sports programming. It delivers 15 hours of weekly primetime programming to 208 local market affiliates, reaching approximately 99.9% of all U.S. television households. Among 18- to 34-year-olds, the FOX Network has ranked among the top two networks in primetime entertainment for the past 23 years.
Fox Network is seeking a Vice President, Alternative Entertainment to join our Alternative Entertainment team and help develop a slate of original, alternative entertainment.
A SNAPSHOT OF RESPONSIBILITIES
• Develop a slate of original, alternative programming that will attract audiences, earn ratings, and achieve a return on programming investment in the key 18-49 and 25-54 demographics.
• Actively develop and maintain strong relationships with the creative community to identify and develop program formats, concepts, and genres that fulfill Fox Network's program strategy.
• Aggressively reach out to talent, agents, writers, and show creators.
• Work closely with the rest of the programming department to develop a coherent and collaborative development and scheduling strategy and process.
• Manage and maintain development, production, and department budgets.
• Mentor and guide the development and production staff, as well as executive producers/show runners in crafting successful programming.
• Assist in managing all existing shows to keep them as current and relevant as possible.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
• Education minimum: Bachelor of Arts.
• Minimum of five years’ experience in television program development, specifically in unscripted genres.
• Proven ability to work constructively with all stakeholders in the development process.
• Collaborative personality that puts people at ease with the often-difficult development process, as well as the business acumen to navigate complex deal-making waters to accomplish the ultimate programming goals.
• Proven organizational team player who can adapt to change and deal with unexpected obstacles within a fast-moving and fluid organization.
• A creative self-starter and “idea machine” who doesn’t wait for others to bring in good ideas; who is capable of managing a project from idea generation through identifying creative talent, developing the project, and overseeing the production.
• The ideal candidate should have a sense of wit, sophistication, and appreciation of quality, cutting edge programming, and demonstrate a commitment to fresh ideas and non-derivative programs. A leader, not a follower.
• Pre-existing contacts and relationships in the creative community (agents/managers/producers, etc.) in order to identify and gain access to top level and up-and-coming talent.
• Strong familiarity with budgets and physical production, particularly in non-scripted genres.
• Proven commitment to developing and executing programming that takes full advantage of the rapidly changing media environment, including emerging digital distribution platforms and social media. Demonstrated ability to integrate digital media with television programming. Knowledge, passion, and commitment to the digital frontier is a must.