A thriving, mission-driven multimedia organization, NPR produces award-winning news, information, and music programming in partnership with hundreds of independent public radio stations across the nation. The NPR audience values information, creativity, curiosity, and social responsibility – and our employees do too. We are innovators and leaders in diverse fields, from journalism and digital media to IT and development. Every day, our employees and member stations touch the lives of millions worldwide.
TED is a nonprofit organization devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading, through short talks delivered by leading thinkers and doers, as well as a growing number of original podcasts.
NPR and our partners at TED are looking for the next host of TED Radio Hour. Does this sound like you?
You are an accomplished journalist who is creative, curious, ambitious and passionate, a masterful storyteller and a strong writer. You believe in the power of ideas to change attitudes and lives, and are excited to create programming that thoughtfully reaches across political and cultural divides. You have a proven ability to conduct engaging conversations around science, technology, business, global issues, arts and culture, but more importantly are able to connect ideas in new and interesting ways across disciplines. You are adept at juggling multiple guests discussing multiple topics in a day. You are masterful at conducting in-depth interviews with some of the world’s most inspired thinkers, from newsmakers to scientists, authors, academics, artists, and other culture creators – and you’re not afraid to challenge their ideas when necessary. You are a natural leader who is collegial and collaborative and unflappable under pressure.
Since its launch in 2012, TED Radio Hour has been one of the top podcasts in the US, consistently charting high on Podtrac’s ranking of the Top 20 US Podcasts. It’s downloaded by millions of listeners each week and is broadcast on more than 600 NPR member stations nationwide. TED Radio Hour is a journey through fascinating ideas, astonishing inventions, fresh approaches to old problems, and new ways to think and create. The program includes excerpts from some of the world’s deepest thinkers and innovators speaking on the renowned TED stage. The TED Radio Hour team takes the most compelling talks and organizes them around a common theme or question, such as: How do we define beauty? Are we alone in the universe? What happens to our humanity as we become increasingly dependent on machines? The TED Radio Hour host digs deep into each subject through conversations with TED speakers and other guests. Music and sound weave throughout each episode, bringing the themes and concepts to life through vivid audio storytelling.
• Conceives, researches, proposes and produces ideas for highly original thematically-linked episodes
• Invents new and creative ways to explore broad and complex ideas and themes aligned with the program’s unique content
• Creates material to achieve the highest standards of clear and accurate content and artistic, technically excellent presentation
• As host, prepares and presents content in original, compelling, entertaining and provocative ways
• Combines storytelling techniques and the ability to write for the ear with vocal performance skills to communicate information in a compelling way
• Is able to connect with and hold the attention of listeners, enhancing the engagement and loyalty of the program’s audience
• Anchors program
• Proposes specific interviews and conducts conversations with guests
• Writes, edits, revises and delivers scripts related to the program, including continuity copy that weaves together complex ideas and themes so there is a strong and seamless narrative flow
• Participates in the production of the program.
• Participates in program planning meetings, suggesting ideas for the program and possible guests.
• Ensures audio and stories are absolutely accurate and assists with performing story editing and fact-checking as needed.
• Maintains highest-quality audio standards.
• Coaches, guides and mentors production staff.
• Works effectively with a minimum of supervision, even in complicated situations.
• Makes personal appearances in many settings and helps create presentations that further the program’s reach and impact
• As a program leader, helps establish TED Radio Hour as a top national podcast and radio program with a reputation for originality and creativity.
• Fulfills marketing, promotion and administrative obligations arising from position and assignments.
• Serves as public representative of National Public Radio, Inc. and maintains standards of professional performance and journalistic ethical standards.
• Records promotional material for NPR.
• Responds to personal inquiries from listeners to the extent possible.
• Carries out other assignments as designated.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
• At least eight years of broadcasting experience, including at least three years’ radio experience.
• Proven ability to write for a broadcast audience.
• Well-developed curiosity in a wide range of subjects and a broad range of general knowledge.
• Demonstrated ability to discuss national and international issues on air in a clear, balanced and intelligent manner.
• Well-developed on-air personality and a strong ability to conduct thoughtful interviews with people who have diverse and opposing opinions, comments and views.
• Ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline pressure.
• Ability and willingness to work varied shifts.
• Ability and willingness to relocate. In the future, NPR may choose to transfer employees to other geographic locations. Severance provisions of the AFTRA collective bargaining agreement will apply should you choose not to accept a transfer.
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system.
• Familiarity with the public radio system
• Familiarity with TED Talks and the mission of TED
• National name recognition
• Significant audio production skills and or ability and willingness to learn advanced audio production tools and techniques
• Experience in feature and long form editing