Our award winning Digital News Desk is looking for an experienced Social Media Editor to help guide the social strategy for NPR for each of its social platforms. You’ll work closely with several managers, editors and departments across NPR, so communication, flexibility, and collaboration will be key assets. Your role as Editor will work with the newsroom’s Engagement Team on strategy, focusing on growth and engagement. You’ll be in partnership with other social media leads from across NPR, including NPR Music, Programming (including podcasts), Marketing and sponsorship teams. In conjunction with news desks and on-air shows, you’ll help facilitate an understanding of strategy and digital best practices by analyzing metrics to better serve the audience. This role assists in developing a digital network with NPR member stations, and create workflows to amplify station content and share information with stations about new developments and products in the industry.
• Working under the guidance of the Supervising Community Manager, they set NPR’s social media strategy for each social platform.
• Monitors NPR’s social media accounts for performance on each platform, working closely with Audience Insights team to develop ways NPR can use new platforms, tools and tactics.
• Works with NPR’s Engagement team to develop and execute community engagement strategy.
• Assist with the planning and execution of special news coverage, packages and live events.
• Works with on air shows, news desks, and verticals on projects to develop social media plans on major coverage areas or events.
• Assists in managing editorial relationship with social networks (Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, etc).
• Partners with the Training Team to provide training sessions for staff on social media best practices.
• Works closely with NPR Ethics and Standards Editor to advise on NPR’s social media policy for journalists and raises ethical issues.
• Analyzes metrics, including Chartbeat and Google Analytics, to understand and better serve the digital community.
: Bachelor’s degree preferably in journalism, English, or writing-intensive discipline and/or equivalent work experience.
• At least five years of experience in daily journalism (digital, print and/or broadcast).
• At least three years of experience in editorial decision-making.
• At least two years of experience managing relationships with social media companies (Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, etc.)
• Demonstrated experience in operating and growing social media presence for a major news brand.
• Familiarity with NPR’s news judgment, storytelling approach, news magazines and podcasts. Strong understanding of what makes the NPR “voice” unique on social compared with other news media.
• Solid, independent news judgment. Strong familiarity with the mission of public media.
• Understanding of journalistic ethics. Experience maintaining high journalistic standards under deadline pressure, including standards of objectivity, balance and fairness.
• Experience with intellectual property issues involved in publications generally and Web publications in particular.
• Ability to handle multiple and complex projects simultaneously under stringent time frames and changing priorities/conditions.
• Ability to work independently and with members of a cooperative team.
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system.
• Experience working in a large news organization with affiliate newsrooms.
• Experience with creating social media visuals, including video and gifs.
• Experience reporting, writing and/or editing.
• Experience editing under daily breaking news conditions