With the success of its multi-platform HBO GO service, HBO’s Digital Products group is redefining the modern entertainment experience for its millions of subscribers worldwide. While celebrating our 30+ years of developing award winning original programming and features (Game of Thrones, True Blood, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Girls, Westworld, etc.), we are also dedicated to embracing and expanding our leadership in the digital space. HBO is exploring new avenues of interactive media, through multiple platforms, devices, and paradigms – ranging from the evolutionary to the experimental.
Exploring this nexus of technology and entertainment requires a staff of highly motivated and technically flexible software professionals across a variety of disciplines: development, production, content, and design. Given HBO’s focus on story and character development, we are looking for talented individuals who can help drive the next generation of believable characters in interactive media. Your role as senior AI engineer will be to help define and drive the bleeding edge of believable AI in interactive experiences, for HBO and for the games industry as a whole.
We are hiring people in all areas of product development to build a team that can create engaging, high-quality products and interactive experiences. Above all, we need a team that can take that expertise and accomplish things that have never been done before—because that’s what we’re doing.
You will work with a team of highly talented engineers, artists, designers and producers to explore the boundaries of next-gen AI, believable characters and interactive storytelling. You will produce production quality code (in the form of libraries, plug-ins, tools and other appropriate means) to demonstrate and leverage your discoveries. You will be instrumental in driving the results of your bleeding-edge research through development to end users, either through direct code production or via technical leadership. You will also be expected to help raise the bar industry-wide by sharing the results of your successes (and failures) at industry conferences and other events, and via published papers.
• BS or MS in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or equivalent technical degree
• At least 5 years experience in software development
• At least 5 years experience in the video game industry, with a history of shipping high quality titles
• Excellent C/C++ skills.
• Demonstrated expertise in AI (Artificial Intelligence) development in video games
• Demonstrated continued learning, passion for the bleeding edge of AI development
• Experience with gameplay “generalist” engineering
• Excellent communication skills, proven ability to function as part of a high-performing team
• Ability to thrive in an ambiguous environment, and help drive direction and long-term strategy
• Track record of demonstrated excellence in the field of AI development, including conference talks, published articles and papers
• Experience with Unreal 4, Unity, and other modern engines
• Experience with Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality development
• Experience developing for iOS, Android, and game consoles