oin the team that produces Invisibilia, NPR’s podcast about the invisible forces that shape human behavior. From examining the origins of human emotion, to the dark side of empathy, we bring unique narrative together with relevant scientific research to give you new insight on your life and the world around you.
The Senior Editor is a key editorial position on a highly creative and collaborative team. As Senior Editor you help conceive of and execute stories for Invisibilia’s podcast feed as well as related broadcast elements. You are a writer with flair and accuracy, and an interest in science and human behavior. You write and support writing with flair and accuracy. You have an interest in science and human behavior.
A minimum of eight years’ journalism is required and candidates will have long-form audio narrative experience. This position is based in Washington, DC.
Performs the duties of Senior Editor, editing podcast and planning future coverage.
• Edits podcast episodes and other content, as needed
• Writes and produces content to support show, as needed
• Active leader in pitch meetings, pitching both specific stories and as well themes/broader areas of coverage
• Assists hosts/reporters with prep for interviews
• Assists host/reporters in organizing and focusing their stories throughout reporting, writing, editing and fact checking process
• Assists podcast leadership with future planning, development of host projects, and strategic partnerships
Works in conjunction with podcast leadership to make assignments and provide editorial guidance to staff.
• Reviews pitches from team and outside contributors to determine assignments
• Monitors show for overall balance, variety of stories and types of pieces
• Regularly provides constructive critiques of stories in personal meetings with staff and contributors.
Is responsible for editorial integrity and quality of on-air published product.
• Edits stories for continuity, integrity of journalism, quality of writing, manner of presentation, and consistency of style.
• Ensures that all materials aired meet NPR program standards and practices, including standards of fairness, objectivity, and balance.
: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
• At least eight years’ journalism experience
• Thorough knowledge of and passion for long-form narrative storytelling in the audio space
• Considerable skill in both news and feature editing
• Demonstrated skill in oral presentation.
• Ability to work collaboratively with a highly creative team
• Ability to synthesize large amounts of information into actionable tasks and delegate effectively.
• Experience maintaining high journalistic standards under deadline pressure, including standards of objectivity, balance and fairness.
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system.
• Ability and willingness to work varied shifts.
• Ability to relocate. In the future, NPR may choose to transfer employees to other geographic locations. Severance provisions of the AFTRA collective bargaining agreement will apply should you choose not to accept a transfer.
• Broadcast experience strongly preferred.
• Demonstrated writing ability.
• Knowledge of basic and advanced principles of audio production for information and news programming.
• Experience with the type of audio production done at NPR.
• Experience in online journalism.
• Experience leading highly creative teams
• Experience working in and/or knowledge of public radio and the public radio system.