The function of Standards and Practices (S&P) is to protect the CNN brand by ensuring editorial and ethical excellence. S&P partners with CNN editorial teams (TV, digital and social platforms) on sensitive reporting and issues. The role of S&P is to make sure our content is accurate, fair and responsible. Members of the S&P team are aligned to specific editorial shows and units, but also work with other departments including PR, marketing and ad sales when needed. This role liaises with the other legal and editorial quality control teams.
• The Senior Director will be the first point of contact for the editorial teams in vetting stories and content and will involve the Executive Vice President when necessary.
• Review and approve content to ensure it is fair and responsible.
• Work with long-form and investigative teams to ensure CNN standards are adhered to.
• Flag controversial and sensitive material to senior managers as appropriate.
• Conduct seminars to CNN staff with the goal of educating them on CNN's editorial standards and practices.
• Provide feedback to senior leaders on training and development needs for their teams
• Remain abreast of major news stories by monitoring other media outlets.
• 10 years of experience in editorial decision making, including covering national politics.
• Demonstrated ability to work in fast-paced, high-pressure environment.
• Experience partnering with reporters, anchors and senior level colleagues.
• Strong critical thinker who can confidently challenge colleagues and express skepticism when appropriate.
• Highly collaborative and respectful of others.
• Creative problem solver who enjoys finding solutions.
• Must be able to multi-task and prioritize a diversified workload.
• Excellent communication and negotiation skills.
• Enjoys interacting with clients and is proactive in supporting them.
• Able to work independently. –
• Has built a reputation of maintaining the highest ethical standards and has earned absolute trust with confidentiality.