Requisition ID 20178
Discovery, Inc., the new global leader in real life entertainment with powerful brands such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel, is searching for a Senior Accountant, other Revenue Accounting in Knoxville, TN to join our Global Business Services ("GBS") team.
Not familiar with Knoxville?
Many people know Knoxville as the heart of Vol Country, but it's also been named Top 100 Best Places to Live, Forbes’ Best Places for Careers, Forbes’ Most Affordable Cities, Huffington Post’s Top 10 Places to Relocate to in the US and more.
This role establishes and maintains accounting policies and controls, fiscal controls, prepares financial reports and safeguards the organization's assets. Maintains accounting and financial records and reports, including general ledger, financial statements, regulatory and management reports.
1. Responsible for month-end close related to licensing and back-ends, including journal entries, revenue recognition, AR risk analysis and reconciliations
2. Review monthly royalty and licensing accruals and ensure their accuracy
3. Review customer contracts and royalty statements to determine proper revenue recognition in accordance with applicable pronouncements and company policies.
4. Maintain revenue cut-off procedures at quarter-end to ensure revenue is properly and accurately recorded for the period.
5. Prepare and post all monthly journal entries related to royalties. Ensure proper liability balance based on analysis of historical trends and known liabilities.
6. Assist with the continuous review and improvement of revenue systems and business processes related to SAP and associated revenue systems.
7. Prepare management reports including applicable revenue-related metrics and kpi’s.
8. Develop a close working partnership with the Finance, Regional International Controllers and Operational teams. Proactively learn the business and upstream processes to ensure proper Accounting
9. Assist with the maintenance and updating of internal controls for the contract to cash cycle and the related internal control compliance process.
10. Assist internal and external audit in their audit evaluation processes as requested.
11. Respond to inquiries in a timely, well thought out manner
What you need to have:
• BS/BA in Accounting or Finance and at least 3-6 years of accounting experience with at least 2 years of Revenue Accounting experience.
• Experience with large ERP system (SAP preferred), strong in Excel and PC skills
• Applies fundamental functional/technical and business knowledge typically gained through formal education to deliver assigned work
• Results oriented, strong attention to detail a must
• Seeks guidance on new or unfamiliar tasks
• Keeps others informed of workload, timeline, and resources needed to accomplish tasks
• Ability to work under conditions of pressure and adjust to urgent situations
• Ability to work independently as well as working collaboratively with team members across the organization and prioritize multiple deliverables with competing deadlines
• Attention to detail and accuracy as well as strong organizational skills
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to foster positive working relationships across the organization
• Must have the legal right to work in the United States
It’s a plus if you have:
• Proficiency of SAP
• US GAAP Revenue recognition experience
• International Accounting experience