The Distribution Staff Engineer will operate and monitor all facets of both primary and backup Discovery Teleports on a 24 / 7 /365 operation. These include the satellite receive and transmit systems for all Discovery programming. Additionally, this position will monitor and maintain the multiplexes, fiber distribution systems and affiliate receive systems for Discovery services at both the DTTC facility and Discoveries DR location in Hagerstown. The Distribution Staff Engineer will execute standards and quality control check processes for all outbound Discovery services.
• Strengthen the transmission reliability of the Discovery North America Networks to all of their affiliates.
• Develop corporate oversight/participation in Transmission Technologies for Domestic services.
• Strengthen management of key transmission related initiatives within DCI.
• Repair, maintain and perform preventive maintenance and upgrades on all equipment associated with the RF signal. This will include but is not limited to the Motorola encoding system, Frequency Converters, HPAs, switching equipment and fiber optics system.
• The Distribution Staff Engineer on duty is required to respond immediately to calls from the TOC in regards to signal transmission or calls from affiliates to maintain the on-air signals.
• The Distribution Staff Engineer must be able to handle any necessary switching during normal or emergency conditions to ensure that all services remain on the air.
• Provide input and notification to Manager and Teleport Staff Members, on equipment issues and changes maintain a daily log and shift report.
• Routinely check all physical plant remote alarms in the Transmission Center including but not limited to HPA systems, uplink chains and all down link infrastructure.
• Monitor the health of every on-air and backup system confirming all 30+ Discovery Networks are operational and operating within spec.
• Monitor the uplink power and downlink signal levels during potential inclement weather events.
• Assist with training, coaching and development of Teleport Staff Members as needed.
• 4-7 years of experience in RF and transmission systems preferred.
• 4-7 years experience with Domestic and International Television Satellite compression and distribution systems preferred.
• Candidates should have C-band RF experience along with a familiarity with Motorola and Cisco encoding systems.
• Candidates should have the ability to operate associated test equipment including but not limited to spectrum analyzer, power meter, signal generator, oscilloscope, video waveform monitor, vector scope and transport stream analyzer.
• Candidates should have a basic knowledge of architectural, mechanical, and electrical systems and how these systems interact with the technical equipment.
• Candidate must have the ability to perform well in a high-pressure environment
• Computer literacy, excellent oral and written communication abilities and close attention to details are required. Linux experience a plus.
• Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
Requisition ID 7374