THE DIVISON’S STORY
Much like medieval knights, our Legal and Business Affairs team protects the livelihood of the kingdom. We’re the forgers of iron-clad contracts, overseers of content production and defenders of intellectual property rights. Given the competitive nature of our industry, collaboration and attention to detail are traits we highly prize, and you should value and match those attributes. Also, you should have a POV and enjoy staying tuned in to new commercial developments.
THE ROLE: Director, Legal and Business Affairs
A+E Networks has an amazing Director, Legal and Business Affairs opportunity in New York, providing support to the Digital Media and International Divisions, including digital advertising sales and advertising operations, international content sales, digital research and analytics, and privacy and data security matters across various A+E business divisions.
MORE ABOUT WHAT YOU’LL DO:
Director, Legal and Business Affairs:
• Negotiate, draft and review a wide variety of agreements related to A+E’s digital media and International businesses for both A+E’s owned and operated platforms, and third-party platforms and channels, including agreements related to content licenses for various rights (linear and/or video-on-demand) and distribution (e.g., streaming or mobile), content creation, technology (including software and system licenses that pertain to websites, mobile, or apps), podcasts, and online games.
• Provide guidance to various A+E business divisions on various global privacy matters, data collection, security and use issues (e.g. GDPR, COPPA, CCPA, CASL, DMCA, and VPPA), and monitor and report on regulatory developments, as well as, help implement internal policies related to such matters.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN:
You will be part of a unified team that works to foster a culture of excellence that supports and drives A&E’s goals in this changing media and business landscape. You’ll have the opportunity to participate with a team that encourages clients to embrace Legal and Business Affairs as a strategic partner. We have the people, strength and scope to handle what comes our way. You’ll will be able to improve processes and skills department wide, so that we all can collaborate, excel and grow, individually and as a group.
• JD Degree and member in good standing of New York State Bar.
• 5-7 years legal experience, handling extensive intellectual property and digital media matters at a major law firm, or digital media and/or technology company as in-house counsel with significant transactional experience, handling matters involving digital media and distribution.
• Experience and knowledge in digital media, content licensing (domestic and international), linear and on-demand rights and distribution, and privacy and data security strongly preferred.
• Strong interpersonal, negotiation and drafting skills (including ability to be strategic and offer creative solutions) and clear and effective communication skills required.
• Must be highly organized to be able to handle high volume of work in fast paced environment, detail oriented and a team player.
• Self-motivated with demonstrated ability to take initiative and make decisions.
THAT SOMETHING EXTRA:
If you’ve read this far, you’re likely a great fit for us…and maybe you’re fluent in sign language, have studied the circus arts or are currently writing a screenplay. If you have a special skill or backstory that might directly or indirectly help you succeed in this role, we’d love to hear about it in your cover letter.