Working at The Weather Channel television network
Chances are you have watched the weather to plan your day and news information to stay updated on current events. Chances are you didn’t realize Weather Group has some of the most advanced and innovative products in video production to bring audiences the best in weather and news information. Now we are ready to push the envelope even further…much, much further.
Weather Group is taking bold steps to shake things up, both internally and across the media industry. As the leader in weather information and delivering award-winning AR/VR experiences; our emerging Local Now digital media brand is innovating how audiences get their national and local news. Local Now delivers locally relevant, nationally compelling video news to communities across the country. We are looking for a visionary Senior Producer to support this exciting new direction.
Check us out, it’s amazing in here!
The Senior Producer will manage the Programming team and create engaging, topical content for programming. The person in this role is also responsible for producing live and digital programming, including writing and producing weather news shows, special graphics, educational packages and all of the elements necessary to support content across digital platforms.
The Digital Senior Producer for Local Now drives the day-to-day execution of the Local Now editorial voice and strategy. This leader will accomplish this by energizing and engaging teams of producers and associate producers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Leading a team of producers and associate producers for digital programming.
• Develop topical, engaging content on a daily basis.
• Supervise the segment producers for all live and taped segments, making sure our broadcast needs are consistently being met.
• Work closely with on-air talent; including on-air presentation, scripting and field production.
• Act as liaison with other departments.
• Live producing in a control room, including multiple live shots from various locations.
• Oversee video acquisitions via satellite networks and other sources.
• Write promotional scripts and prepare video teases as needed.
Education, Experience, Certification Requirements
• Bachelor’s degree in journalism, or equivalent knowledge
• 5+ years’ experience in television, with 3-5 years as Producer of live news programming, control room and production/development experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Ability to work and make decisions both independently and in a team
• Ability to work as a self-starter with minimum supervision
• Able to manage the repurposing and/or reversioning of various content
• Comfortable with fast-paced, results-oriented environment
• Control room experience producing live news programs that contain live remote elements.
• Demonstrated proficiency using Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
• Direct experience in cable and or broadcast network television is preferred
• Excellent Written/Verbal communication skills
• Highly collaborative; ability to work well on team; accustomed to partnering with business side to reach business goals
• Knowledge of digital television production techniques
• Knowledgeable in developing and producing rich content/diverse programming for multiple platforms, aimed at broadening the networks (on-air, broadband, et al) demographic appeal
• Personable with ability to interact with employees across the organization.
• Story-driven writing/producing experience
• Strong interpersonal skills that enable candidate to deal effectively with broad spectrum of personalities, styles and dispositions
• Strong knowledge of current events; including news and business headlines
• Strong strategic mind-set, with an ability to function well tactically
The Weather Channel does not accept agency/search firm referrals for this posting, or other postings, without prior written permission from The Weather Channel Human Resources. The Weather Channel is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
The Weather Channel operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Hours worked by The Weather Channel associates will vary according to job responsibility and scheduling demands of each department.
The Weather Channel is an equal opportunity employer. We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, the presence of non-job related medical condition or handicap, or any legally protected status.
Because we do business with the government, we must reach out to, hire, and provide equal opportunity to qualified people with disabilities. To help us measure how well we are doing, we are asking you to tell us if you have a disability or if you ever had a disability. Completing this form is voluntary. Any answer you give will be kept private and will not be used against you in any way. If you choose to complete this form, please follow the link below, complete the form and return to email@example.com, which is a confidential e-mail in box.
Relocation costs are not provided for this job, by submitting a resume, candidates understand and acknowledge that The Weather Channel will not provide relocation assistance or support and that relocation will be entirely the responsibility of the candidate.
Human Resources does NOT provide application status updates via the telephone. Confirmation of receipt of application will be sent via e-mail once the application has been successfully submitted.