The online copy editor is responsible for the clarity, grammatical and factual accuracy of digital content across Car and Driverís many platforms. This role will help be the final line check on automotive news, in-depth review, features, fact sheets, video graphics, illustrations and more. The person in this position works closely with the deputy online editor, senior online editors, managing editor and other staff and freelance fact-checking resources to maintain quality, tone, and editorial direction.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Proofreading and copy-editing site content to ensure proper grammar and adherence to style
- Fact-checking reviews, features and video/design assets that often content technical information
- Pitching story ideas and writing, as needed
- Shepherding content through the production process
- Liaising with press representatives and sources to confirm/clarify the most up-to-date information
- Other editorial duties, as assigned
Desired qualities include:
- Minimum three years of experience in automotive media or a similar data-heavy editorial role
- Strong editing ability and sense of grammar and tone
- Highly organized and methodical with the ability to manage several tasks at once and switch seamlessly among them
- Strong sense and understanding of vehicle equipment, technology, and dynamics and keen interest in the automotive industry
- Experience with content management systems and other basic online production tools.