Working at The Weather Channel television network
As The Weather Channel Television Network, we have heightened focus on innovation, first-class storm coverage and hyper-localized weather information available through our various TV platforms including: The Weather Channel, WeatherScan and Local Now. For more than 30 years, The Weather Channel television network has inspired viewers to explore, investigate and appreciate the experience of weather in all its forms.
We are one of the most widely distributed television networks and the leader in severe weather coverage, providing the most comprehensive real-time programming of any media outlet, with trusted meteorologists who analyze, forecast and report the weather.
Weather is inherently fascinating, and we share our passion through the stories we tell to our audiences through our programming. The more our viewers engage with us, the more our stories illuminate how weather impacts almost everything.
We’re always looking for new talent to keep us on top—like someone incredible to fill the job listed here.
The Associate Content Management Specialist role is responsible for assisting in the management of The Weather Company’s content asset management system (CAM). The responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, acquisition of video assets, naming convention assignment to video assets, maintaining and updating metadata associated with the video assets, and assisting with server management for all assets within the current Media server. The Associate Content Management Specialist is responsible for ensuring compliance of licensing “rights” as outlined by the Content Media Manager, TWC News Desk and Legal departments.
This position works closely with Production, TWC Assignment Desk, TWC Legal and Library Archives to maintain the quality and media specifications for long term usage and retrieval of all digital assets. As this position supports a 24x7 news/weather environment, candidates must have flexibility to work days, nights, overnights and weekends as needed and with minimal advance notice. This position is also subject to any and all vacation blackout period designated by The Weather Company’s CAM Management.
This is a part time/temporary positon.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• The Associate Content Management Specialist is tasked with maintaining inventory of the production server based on procedural criteria and licensing agreements. This team is responsible for the implementation, documentation and associated “legal usage rights” for The Weather Company platforms within each individual production server metadata entries. Accountable for maintaining all video assets and associated rights for cross-platform usage based on guidelines provided by TWC Legal.
• Responsible for monitoring and adjusting content volume on the production server for the purpose of maintaining acceptable open capacity for video acquisition. Responsible for removing unused or expired material from the server based on procedures and search criteria to assure server capacity is maintained.
• Responsible for performing processes regarding retrieval of media and media records from production server or archive. Responsible for assisting in the creation or revision of guidelines for all production server related processes and training for related users
• Works closely with TWC News Desk and TWC Satellite Operations on material to be fed into server to assign/align proper naming, source attribution, scripting and other essential metadata to each item. Communicates and coordinates media to be ingested on a scheduled basis with TWC Satellite Operations or other designated personnel.
• Works closely with TWC Engineering on issues, solutions, upgrades and specification of all CAM related workflow and processes.
• Duties include training personnel on media management, production workflows and methods required to search system assets, or procedures to remove media from the production server or archives.
Education, Experience, Certification Requirements
• College degree in television or communications, or equivalent work experience.
• 3+ years working within a newsroom environment; familiarity with standards of News Desk processes and functions
• Proficient knowledge of Dalet, Avid iNews or a comparable Media Asset Management software
• Working knowledge of vectorscopes, waveforms; digital satellite equipment
• Complete knowledge high definition and standard definition television standards, both format and aspect ratio conversion techniques
• Demonstrable desktop edit skills to consolidate lengthy feeds
• Good working knowledge of TV production operations and live studio environment; broadcast edit concepts and terminology; and non-linear edit processes
• Experience in a digital media environment in an asset management role is preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Ability to work independent of direct supervision
• Capable of working in a seated position for extended periods
• Working knowledge of a wide variety of Social Media utilities and web based media sites
• Must be customer-focused and a team player
• Ability to multi-task and prioritize workload
• Ability to recognize audio and video issues in feeds and experienced in what measures to take for correction of these problems.
• Amenable to working extended hours when deemed necessary to the business of The Weather Channel
• Basic proficiency in Microsoft Office and other business non-editing applications
• Strong team skills: listening, initiative, and follow through
• Ability to function well in stressful conditions
• Must show first-rate skill levels in the following: Effective verbal communications on a variety of levels, Time management, Positive work environment, Organization
• Good understanding of digital terminology
• Familiarity with FTP client software, scheduling software, satellites and router systems is preferred.
The Weather Channel does not accept agency/search firm referrals for this posting, or other postings, without prior written permission from The Weather Channel Human Resources. The Weather Channel is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
The Weather Channel operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Hours worked by The Weather Channel associates will vary according to job responsibility and scheduling demands of each department.
The Weather Channel is an equal opportunity employer. We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, the presence of non-job related medical condition or handicap, or any legally protected status.
Because we do business with the government, we must reach out to, hire, and provide equal opportunity to qualified people with disabilities. To help us measure how well we are doing, we are asking you to tell us if you have a disability or if you ever had a disability. Completing this form is voluntary. Any answer you give will be kept private and will not be used against you in any way. If you choose to complete this form, please follow the link below, complete the form and return to firstname.lastname@example.org, which is a confidential e-mail in box. You may also fax the completed form to 770-744-2021, which is a confidential fax number.
Relocation costs are not provided for this job, by submitting a resume, candidates understand and acknowledge that The Weather Channel will not provide relocation assistance or support and that relocation will be entirely the responsibility of the candidate.
Human Resources does NOT provide application status updates via the telephone. Confirmation of receipt of application will be sent via e-mail once the application has been successfully submitted.
Manager, Meteorologist, Engineer, Temporary, Part Time, Management, Science, Engineering, Contract