• Generate news stories within KTVU’s standards and guidelines.
• Research and develop local news stories and guest segments. Monitor wire services, emails, phone beats, radios, social media sites etc., for breaking news stories and relevant content that can be used to enhance FOX 2 newscasts. At the direction of news management, and also working independently, gather background material and set-up news stories and segments for on-air broadcasts.
• Evaluate and list newsworthy events in computerized assignment planning files and coordinate in studio and remote segments that tie-in with local issues and events. Work closely with news team to plan coverage of news events and special coverage on various topics of interest to the Bay Area.
• Work with FOX station group and other affiliated partners and outside agencies to provide video for feeds and/or coordinate coverage of segments and events.
• Provide direction to news crews in the field where necessary. Maintain a future file and beat check for news material. Work with news staff to gather elements needed for news segment and online content. Work closely with newscast producers to develop vision for on air segments.
• Develop outside news sources and contacts. Work with the news management team on continuing efforts to upgrade the news generating capabilities of KTVU. Must be aware of the development and urgency of news events and have the ability to cover and translate those stories into maximum viewer interest.
• Contribute ideas to station’s social media platforms, creating content and breaking news on various platforms.
Other duties assigned as deemed necessary and appropriate.
Associated degree (or equivalent) in Journalism or Communications from a college or university plus major market TV assignment editor experience is required. Strong communication skills, both written and oral, required. Must be able to demonstrate a working knowledge and understanding of the latest ways to utilize social media, both as a news gathering tool and to communicate with our audience.