Anchors are expected first and foremost to contribute to the team effort of effectively presenting domestic and national news, and generating higher ratings. Further, Anchors are expected to contribute story ideas on a daily basis, and aid producers in the development and writing of all newscasts and multi-platform applications. They are also expected to aid producers and reporters in presenting stories in a fair, accurate and balanced presentation. News Anchors are also responsible for generating a news package on a regular basis, as well as maintaining an active social media following to build on the station’s brand engagement.
• Cover all news stories as assigned by the News Department.
• Produce original content for Digital Platforms.
• Report the facts on station’s news program on tape, digitally and/or live, either in the studio or on location.
• Provide input to the show producer on show content and format
• Be active in social media
• Be expected to report/anchor from field, live shots, interviews, and package stories
• Record daily topicals
• Perform live interviews and/or live demonstrations.
• Research, plan, and schedule stories or segments.
• Edit or supervise the editing of videotape used in conjunction with news stories and programs.
• Write scripts, lead-ins, cues and bridges as requested by supervisor.
• May make appearances before social and civic groups and at schools and colleges on behalf of the station.
• Anchor special projects and non-news shows
• Provide coaching and input on stories to other staff members
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
• Must be a skilled writer with outstanding communication skills
• Bachelor’s Degree.
• Minimum of 4 years reporting experience
• Minimum of 2 years of live shot experience
• Minimum of 4 years of anchoring experience, from a local station or network news environment
• Bilingual (English/Spanish) both written and verbal.
• Interested candidates must submit a resume/CV through the www.nbcunicareers.com site
• Willingness to travel and work overtime, and on weekends with short notice
• Must be willing to work in the Boston area
• Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
• Must have a valid driver’s license
• Must be 18 years or older
• Must have ability to work any of a 24x7 shift
• Must accept Solutions, NBCUniversal’s Dispute Resolution Program
• Strong live reporting skills. Able to handle working under the pressure of intense deadlines.
• Must be able to ad-lib effortlessly in various types of situations, particularly breaking news.
• Up to date on and interested in current news events
• Ability to communicate effectively and work well with people while under pressure.
• Knowledge of laws of libel, slander and applicable FCC rules and regulations.
• Upbeat personality and quick wit.
• Familiarity with local leaders a plus.
• Personal initiative and ability to work with minimum supervision.
• Team player who is flexible and can work under tight deadlines
• High degree of integrity and professionalism
• Strong storytelling skills