Join the team that helps cut through the flood of daily news with the smartest take on the most important stories of the day. As Supervising Producer/Editor, you will lead a team in creating daily news-driven podcast content.
You’re able to play the role of generalist and specialist – to dive deep with material when needed, but also to brush up quickly on new topics. You have a passion for audio storytelling and find ways to introduce tape into almost any host conversation.
You love news, you love audio. You have a curious mind that’s always searching for context and meaning. Your work will reach audiences across platforms.
• Oversee planning and editing of content for air/publication, as well as strategic engagement across social and digital platforms
• Manage planning and discussion of themes, treatments, and forms for content and story approaches, in collaboration with hosts/team
• Guide show toward the future, with an eye towards leading innovation in broadcast and digital spaces
• Provide clear and consistent feedback to direct reports, mentoring to enable achievement of professional development goals
• Monitors show for overall balance, variety of stories and types of pieces
• Collaborates with ATC EP on future planning and strategic partnerships
• Ensures that all materials aired meet NPR program standards and practices, including standards of fairness, objectivity, and balance.
• Supervise at least 3 direct reports, including preparing their regular performance reviews, and making effective recommendations regarding any hiring, promotion, and discipline for these positions.
EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree or equivalent in work experience
• At least 2 years of experience managing / mentoring staff
• At least 10 years of journalism experience
• Proven experience maintaining high journalistic standards on multiple projects simultaneously, under stringent timeframes and changing/priorities/conditions
• Demonstrated ability to work as decisive leader, as well as a collaborative team member
• Considerable skill in both news and feature editing
• Ability to synthesize large amounts of information into actionable tasks and delegate effectively.
• Experience maintaining high journalistic standards under deadline pressure, including standards of objectivity, balance and fairness.
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system.
• Ability and willingness to work varied shifts.
• Ability to work with minimal supervision.
• Ability to relocate. In the future, NPR may choose to transfer employees to other geographic locations. Severance provisions of the AFTRA collective bargaining agreement will apply should you choose not to accept a transfer.
• Managing Complexity
• Building Stakeholder Relationships
• Quality Decision Making
• Strategic Thinking
• Problem Solving Skills
• Broadcast/podcast experience strongly preferred.
• Daily news experience
• Demonstrated writing ability.
• Demonstrated ability in editorial decision making
• Knowledge of basic and advanced principles of audio production for information and news programming.
• Experience with the type of audio production done at NPR.
• Experience with meeting audience needs on various platforms simultaneously (podcast/broadcast/digital/social)
• Experience working in and/or knowledge of public radio and the public radio system