NBCUniversal is strengthening its engineering team and is seeking a transformational senior engineer to participate with groups that are responsible for collaborating, designing and managing the NBCUniversal enterprise data protection and recovery portfolio. We are seeking a motivated individual with a drive to be on the cutting edge while helping change the culture of IT towards a more nimble and agile methodology leveraging next generation technology platforms. You will have breadth across technology stacks evaluating and recommending solutions in partnership with engineering and development teams throughout the organization. You will be asked to provide guidance not only across data protection but also network, storage, management, and compute/virtualization. Technology focus will involve both on premise and external cloud environments. Technology governance and control are foundational elements to this strategy and this position will play a key role in laying that foundation.
Areas of Responsibility
• Collaborate cross functionally to develop our target state data protection solutions and supporting organization model along with the multi-year roadmap required to achieve that target state.
• Drive DP/Recovery technology discussions within the team and across other divisions.
• Provide L3 support for the technical platform, continuous improvement initiatives and work with other technical leads to define and maintain compliance with organizational standards
• Lead technical quality of the team’s solutions delivery; communicate decisions and rationales at a detailed level to both client and internal teams
• Assist project teams in scoping, design, and project work estimations
• Actively participates in project meetings and provides input to design and implementationd
• Enforce adherence to architectural standards/principles, global specific guidelines, governance and cost controls
• Drive technical designs to consensus and approval.
• Keep abreast of and gain expertise in the evolving technology and understand how new technologies could be applied
• Stay current with trends and incorporate emerging technology to benefit the platform for on premise and cloud solutions
• 2-5 years as a Linux/Unix administrator in an enterprise environment
• Strong familiarity with RedHat based Linux distributions
• Experience tuning and maintaining Linux servers
• Hands on experience troubleshooting user space, kernel, and hardware issues
• The ability to author and troubleshoot shell scripts
• Familiarity with Oracle/MySQL/Postgres DB on Linux, and supporting a DBA team
• Familiarity of networking concepts such as firewalls, routing, and load balancing
• Experience in supporting and troubleshooting Linux / UNIX networking services and protocols (TCP/IP)
• An understanding of TCP/IP and FC
• Deep understanding of ITSM process execution and ServiceNow for task tracking and execution
• Knowledge of infrastructure design & server infrastructure implementation.
• Balance of strategic and tactical skills and the ability to work on cross-functional teams.
• Ability to write technical documentation (platform architecture, strategy, engineering, business continuity etc.)
• Ability to work on multiple concurrent complex projects and to coordinate the work of others in the architecture space
• Possess an understanding of system testing including platform, integration, load and scale testing.
• Proficient at multitasking and proactive in work responsibilities
• Ability to create business cases for new technology proposals
• Ability to present technical concepts to a variety of audiences through both oral and written mediums
• Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities
• B.S. degree in Information Technology, Business Administration or other technical discipline