I. Job Summary | Major goals and objectives.
Meredith is seeking a talented and innovative Software Engineer II to join our Platform Engineering team. The team’s charter is to provide a robust application and service architecture which enables content creation, enhancement, and distribution through a single, centrally managed content platform. Engineering focus areas include editorial tools, media ingestion, video, storage, data enhancement, distribution, user profiles, authentication, search, and content personalization. The team owns an ecosystem that is critical to Meredith’s content business across editorial and engineering teams creating web, video, and print content.
You are responsible for the design and implementation of software and services to provide a platform that is scalable, highly available, and drastically reduces Meredith's costs for content ingestion, management, discoverability, and distribution. You must be comfortable working collaboratively with stakeholders and have a strong desire and ability to deliver innovative solutions to complex problems.
• Work closely with engineers creating editorial tools, web and mobile experiences.
• Implement new services, APIs, and operational monitoring functions.
• Own production services, investigate and resolve issues, bottlenecks, and inefficiencies.
• Provide thorough and readable documentation for all services.
• Develop APIs that allow new content sources to be processed, enhanced, and made available to customers.
• Collaborate closely with other engineers, designers, and product managers to define innovative ways to improve services and reduce costs.
• Participate in technical mentorship with engineers on the team by performing thorough code reviews, pairing, and ad hoc reviews of proposed solutions.
• Work with other teams across the organization to share and establish best practices.
• Demonstrate passion for code quality and lead by example to produce high quality, complex services and applications under tight timelines.
II. Essential Job Functions
Accountabilities, Actions and Expected Measurable Results
Write Good Code
• Continuously improve our intellectual property, code pipeline, and processes in a performant and extensible fashion. Build out features and sustaining work for high-traffic websites, APIs, and enterprise systems.
• Work closely with team members, product management, and internal stakeholders to understand business requirements and envision strong technical solutions.
Grow Your Career
• Actively participate in system reviews, code reviews, training, and individual learning opportunities to further your career and effectiveness.
III. Minimum Qualifications and Job Requirements | All must be met to be considered.
• Bachelor's degree or higher in Computer Science or relevant industry experience.
• 3-5 years of professional software development experience.
• 2+ years building applications deployed on AWS and the process to manage large data sets.
Specific Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Demonstrated deep understanding of REST, service architecture, monitoring, and the tenants of horizontal scalability.
• Experience developing complex and highly available services running in a production environment.
• Extensive knowledge of object-oriented and functional software design patterns, including those commonly used by large scale search and recommendation engines.
• Proven experience developing and owning production services and applications deployed in AWS leveraging continuous integration and codified infrastructure.
• Knowledge of SQL, NoSQL data stores, graph databases, indexing, locking.
• Experience using docker containers in production systems.
• Experience working in an Agile environment.
• Ability to translate user stories into technical tasks.
• Ability to estimate effort effectively.
• Strong communication, analytical and problem-solving skills.