The Director of Sales is a senior level leader who will report to the station General Manager and who will be responsible for all sales related revenue streams including spot television, digital, mobile, and other non-traditional streams from which to grow revenue. Primary responsibilities include leading a team of approximately 12 in the achievement of revenue goals; effective yield management; accurate forecasting; department budget creation and management; goal setting for the sales organization (including various revenue streams), setting strategic direction with a clear execution plan. The right individual for this position must get up to speed quickly and as a result, must be able to convey and demonstrate strong leadership and communication skills, creativity in revenue generation, flawless execution in previous positions, experience developing processes and SOPs for sales departments.
The Director of Sales will:
• Communicate effectively with the General Manager on all sales related activities
• Drive revenue generation and create demand on multiple platforms.
• Grow the station's revenue share on WOI/KCWI, Weareiowa.com and other digital platforms
• Control and price inventory to meet and exceed budget goals.
• Forecast and budget the TV spot and digital revenue of Weareiowa.com on a monthly and quarterly basis
• Develop and implement sales projects that create spot demand and generate incremental revenue
• Annually increase digital, enterprise and business development revenue for Weareiowa.com
• Recruit, develop, and supervise the Sales Department
• Determine the strategic direction of the department with the ability to sustain that strategic direction throughout the year
• Collaborate with others on ratings estimates and projections
• Interface with Katz on all matters related to national revenue
• Work with various department heads
• Provide top level station management with an accurate picture of ABC5 & KCWI revenue conditions at all times.
• Represent ABC5 & KCWI in external sales and marketing related industry functions
• Travel on a regular basis and attend sales related functions after business hours
• Five or more years of television sales management. The ideal candidate should have experience in digital media
• Candidates must be proficient in strategic and tactical thinking; have strong analytical, leadership, planning and budgeting skills; and possess the creative abilities to generate revenue outside of traditional sources
• Must be able to work under pressure and prioritize goals for the department and the station
• Must be able to manage a large staff with various skill sets with the ability to work with other TEGNA entities and build consensus
• Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, NSI, Wide Orbit, and ComScore (formerly Rentrak)