Fight for the little guy, give a voice to the voiceless, serve your community. CBS47 is looking for an Investigative Reporter to support our On Your Side/Investigates brand across all broadcast and digital platforms.
• Reports news stories, describing the background and details of events
• Arranges interviews with people who can provide information about stories
• Reviews copy and corrects errors in content, grammar and punctuation, following prescribed editorial style and formatting guidelines
• Reviews and evaluates notes taken about event aspects to isolate pertinent facts and details
• Determines a story’s emphasis, length and format, and organizes material accordingly.
• Researches and analyzes background information related to news stories to be able to provide complete and accurate information
• Gathers information about events through research, interviews, experience or attendance at political, news, sports, artistic, social or other functions
• Pitches stories to news managers and news producers which are relevant to the local community
• Receives assignments and evaluates leads and tips to develop story ideas
• Discusses issues with producers and/or news managers to establish priorities or positions
• Checks reference materials such as books, news files or public records to obtain relevant facts
• Revises work to meet editorial approval or to fit time requirements
• Shoots and edits news events and news reports
• Produces and presents reports for all platforms
• Ensures that all content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality
• Writes stories for the web and other eMedia platforms
• Interacts with viewers/users on social media sites
• Performs special projects and other duties as assigned
Requirements & Skills:
• Candidates must have a resume and online link showing investigative work.
• Candidates should know the basics of data analysis, public information requests and backgrounding. They must have a track record of enterprising story ideas and developing key sources.
• Previous work must demonstrate compelling storytelling using dynamic live shots and stand-ups, creative graphics and daily use of digital and social media platforms.
• Candidates must have a minimum of five years reporting experience, including at least two years of investigative reporting.
• A bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field preferred.
• Bachelor’s degree in Broadcast Journalism, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
• Minimum two years’ experience in news reporting. (More or less depending on market size)
• Superior on-air presence
• Proficiency with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, fax machines and other office equipment
• Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
• Valid driver’s license with a good driving record
• Flexibility to work any shift
• This is not an entry-level position.