Gannett is seeking an Associate Manager, Corporate Accounting with more than five years of progressive general accounting experience to be primarily responsible for accounting activities related to debt, legal contingencies, payroll, and other general accounting. Responsibilities include recommending appropriate accounting treatment for transactions, designing process improvements, reviewing and approving journal entries and schedules, evaluating contracts and agreements and supervising Senior Accountant(s). The ideal candidate should have a solid understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles including financial reporting, and applies these principles in all aspects of work.The ideal candidate will have strong analytical skills, be solution oriented and a positive communicator.
The successful candidate will regularly interact with business operations, corporate functions, senior management, and auditors. The position is based in McLean, VA and reports to the Manager of Accounting.
• Ensures deadlines for month-end close and financial reporting requirements are met timely and accurately.
• Prepare journal entries, account reconciliations and analyses.
• Monitor departmental expense activity on a regular basis to identify items that require follow up, correction or explanation.
• Be a resource for the corporate departments to assist them with their accounting and finance needs including general ledger coding of expenses and identifying monthly expense accruals.
• Review and approve work performed by staff, including but not limited to, journal entries, account reconciliations, analysis and financial reports.
• Effectively manage direct report(s) to accomplish functional objectives, encourage teamwork, motivate to meet expectations, supervise and coach direct reports in day-to-day responsibilities and ensure work is completed timely and accurately.
• Maintain the General Ledger system which includes setting up new departments and accounts.
• Supports internal and external audits by providing audit schedules and responding to inquiries..
• Assist with the implementation of financial systems, controls, policies and procedures to support the growth and expansion of the company
• Other special projects as assigned
• Bachelor’s Degree in accounting
• Minimum of 5 years of accounting experience, including supervisory experience
• CPA preferred
• Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office skills.
• Exceptional analytical skills, excellent problem-solving skills, organizational savvy, high energy, strong initiative and the ability to manage multiple tasks meeting tight deadlines
• Flexibility, team loyalty, and strong leadership skills