WMTW Portland, Maine’s ABC affiliate is looking for a smart, creative and enthusiastic newsroom professional to join our award-winning team in Portland, Maine. A vision for success is critical, as is a drive to win weather, breaking news and the big story as we live the Maine’s Total Weather & News brand every day. The candidate must be able to demonstrate the ability to multi-task in the most efficient manner with exceptional communication skills, under strict deadlines.
• Maintain contact with various police, business, and government agencies.
• Answer phones, dispatch crews, listen to scanners/pager, follow social media to develop stories for use on-air and digitally.
• Manage dayfile/planner-inputting information on upcoming events with background and contact information.
• Coordinate and fulfill requests from other Hearst and ABC affiliates, as well as the network.
• Working with and guiding reporters in story production.
• Selecting and writing content for wmtw.com and the WMTW Mobile App.
• Create social media posts for use on the station Facebook and Twitter pages.
• Ability to work varying shifts, including nights, overnights, and weekends.
• Previous experience in a newsroom preferred
• Strong news judgment, ethics and knowledge of legal standards are a must.
• Excellent writing, spelling, grammar, and copy-editing skills
• Someone with a working knowledge of state government and the court system is preferred.
• Knowledge of CMS, Photoshop, and HTML are a plus, but not required
• College degree in broadcast journalism, broadcast news, or related field
• Military training and experience in related field will be considered