Discovery, Inc is the leader in global real-life entertainment with powerful brands such as Food Network, Discovery Channel, Food.com, TLC, HGTV, and Travel Channel. Our Digital Studios team develops experiences on web, mobile, and voice that reach millions of users each day - inspiring them with ideas and tools to create their own unique world.
We’re looking for a Software Engineer to contribute to our direct-to-consumer food app: Food Network Kitchen. Within your role, you’ll be an integral part of a team of engineers, product managers, and designers to build our new Food Network Kitchen app on Roku. You’ll be a contributor on a team that is driving the future of the app experience, helping to make Food Network Kitchen an indispensable app used by millions of customers and every day cooks.
This will be a hands-on role where you’ll be successful by: working with your team to develop enhancements to the Roku platform; participating in all aspects of the agile software development process. As a contributor on the team, you’ll be expected to write code, participate in code reviews, and own tasks and projects to their completion.
1. Deliver high-quality, high-performance, scalable code for the Food Network Kitchen Roku app.
2. Participate in architectural design sessions and data optimizations to produce a fast, scalable product on the Roku platform.
3. Ensure high quality code is delivered. This includes monitoring app crashes, memory usage, and product quality; and participate in issue resolution.
4. Participate in automated quality assurance phase of the development cycle.
5. Participate in day-to-day support of project initiatives including: participation in sprint planning, team retrospectives, code reviews, and user interviews.
6. Assist in implementation of effective engineering processes and policies that emphasize quality and forward progress.
7. Represent Discovery engineering in industry events.
• Education: Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical field from an accredited college or university, or commensurate experience
• Experience: 2+ years in an engineering contributor role on the Roku platform
• Good understanding of Roku UI design, implementation best practices, and performance optimizations.
• You have experience shipping Roku applications and you are up to date on the current state of the Roku ecosystem
• Strong knowledge of BrightScript and Screen Graph
• Knowledge of cloud infrastructure and platforms (e.g., Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud, Heroku) is a plus.
• Knowledge of large scale application architecture, design, implementation and performance tuning.
• Experience writing and maintaining Unit and Integration tests
• Must have the legal right to work in the United States