I. Job Summary | Major goals and objectives.
The Shape.com Executive Editor is the editorial brand lead for Shape.com. Our ideal candidate is a strong leader who’s passionate about creating engaging, empowering digital wellness content for young women.
Our executive editor must have a deep understanding of the core audience and the consumer wellness journey, and the ability to manage the editorial/social team and motivate the staff to meet our KPIs and brand goals. She/he is adept at creating data-driven content that’s authentic, clicky, and authoritative, with exceptional editing and writing skills, a stream of fresh ideas, and a stable of writers and influencers to tap.
She/he must also be detail and deadline-driven to track on the day-to-day tasks that are crucial to our business, highly organized, collaborative, and adept at using analytics and current SEO and social best practices to make editorial decisions. She/he will work with stakeholders across the digital organization to ideate editorial programs and franchises that both drive engaged audience and create meaningful sponsorship opportunities.
The ideal candidate also has experience managing a budget, producing and/or appearing as talent in video and photo shoots, overseeing social media, and using tools like content management systems, Google Analytics, and Photoshop. Our executive editor will primarily be responsible for Shape.com, but she/he will work with the brands and teams across the Health & Parenting vertical as needed.
II. Essential Job Functions
Accountabilities, Actions and Expected Measurable Results
• Manage, educate, and motivate editorial and social team to create high-quality content, programs, and products that meet Meredith Digital KPIs. Work with senior content director to execute content and social strategy. Oversee editorial calendar and content mix. Work with staff editors and freelance writers to assign, top edit, and optimize content using best practices. Produce and write special packages and projects, including editorial programs with sponsor integration. Manage editorial tests to validate and support consumer journey. Glean actionable insights from content metrics and educate team.
• Serve as brand lead and liason for Shape.com editorial with internal stakeholders. Work with growth/audience, SEO, product, sales and marketing, product marketing, and other teams to develop and support products and campaigns that drive acquisition and retention, and help us meet brand OKRs. Work with Health & Parenting vertical teams as needed.
• Coordinate with video team and editorial/social team to conceptualize and execute video series. May also appear as talent in video and media appearances as appropriate.
• Other regular tasks such as: create a collaborative and productive team atmosphere, manage budget, RFP and sponsored program ideation, attend events to cultivate influencer talent, and social media projects.
III. Minimum Qualifications and Job Requirements | All must be met to be considered.
• Bachelor’s Degree
• Minimum of 8 years in digital media, ideally with a focus on health and wellness editorial.
Specific Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Skilled in top editing, writing highly-clickable display copy, writing engaging content, SEO, newsletters, CMS (Wordpress or similar), social media, video execution, Google Analytics, Chartbeat and other similar analytics tools, and influencer outreach.
• % Travel Required (Approximate): 5%