Reporting to the Chief Privacy Officer this position serves as the data privacy legal lead. The role will support Meredith’s business and the work of the Data Privacy Office in establishing and maintaining compliance standards and Meredith’s global privacy program. The role also addresses day to day legal, contractual and regulatory matters involving data privacy and data security incidents in Europe and provides strategic advice and guidance.
The Privacy team is part of Legal and Compliance and provides legal advice relating to Meredith’s use of personal data and is also responsible for setting the privacy compliance strategy. Specifically, the privacy team is responsible for:
• Setting policies based on applicable laws and regulations relating to personal data
• Legal expertise and counsel on Meredith’s compliance with global privacy regulations
• Provides support on data privacy contractual terms, including privacy questionnaires
• Training and tools to support the business in carrying out their responsibilities such as data privacy impact assessments
Essential Job Functions
• Draft and negotiate data privacy and security terms in contracts with media, adtech and other third-party vendors and provide support and guidance regarding same for the business and other members of the Legal Department
• Support the design, establishment and maintenance of Meredith’s data privacy program and compliance requirements, working in close collaboration with the Chief Privacy Officer.
• Support business and corporate functions on the mitigation of data privacy risks identified on privacy impact assessments of Meredith’s products and service offerings.
• Assess the impact of new and existing regulations or laws on Meredith’s existing and new operational practices; providing advice to the relevant business teams to foster privacy by design and alignment with applicable legal requirements and corporate data protection policies and standards. Monitor and communicate the approval of those new regulations and laws.
• Advise the business and fellow legal department members on legal compliance requirements applicable to the privacy and management of the personal information of customers, employees and other individuals with whom the company interacts and related confidential personal information
• Advise on the requirements and restrictions for transfer of personal data by Meredith and its contracting parties as well as advising on responses to subject access and similar requests.
• Along with the Privacy team, provide training and education to legal staff, management and employees relating to data privacy and protection, including key legal issues, laws and regulations, corporate policies and other relevant matters. Support the development and delivery of relevant privacy awareness and training initiatives to build privacy awareness into Meredith’s corporate culture.
• Remain current on legal, regulatory developments affecting data protection and privacy.
• Minimum Qualifications and Job Requirements | All must be met to be considered.
Law degree with an undergraduate degree in business, finance, or communications, as well as law firm and/or regulatory experience.
• 3+ years of experience with strong background in privacy and data protection.
Specific Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• The preferred candidate holds a privacy certification (CIPP, CIPT or CIPM from the IAPP or similar) or willingness to obtain within 3 months.
• Detailed knowledge of data protection/privacy requirements, laws and regulations in the Americas and globally, including CCPA and GDPR.
• The ability to work collaboratively and to engage and influence in a matrix organization.
• Strong interpersonal and influencing skills which can be applied to both internal and external relationships, with the ability to reconcile compliance requirements with business needs as far as is possible.
• Sound and balanced legal judgment and business awareness, with an appropriate understanding of the need to pragmatically assess risk
• Excellent written and oral communication skills. Adept at analyzing and interpreting laws and regulations. Attention to detail.
• An ability to clearly and succinctly explain legal issues to a non-legal audiences
• Exemplary personal and professional integrity and business ethics. Exercises discretion and maintains confidentiality of sensitive information.
• An outstanding collaborator who can manage multiple agreements and tasks.
• High Ethical standards and a team attitude;
• % Travel Required (Approximate): 5%