Requisition ID 24635
Discovery, Inc is the leader in global real-life entertainment with powerful brands such as Discovery Channel, Food Network, HGTV, Animal Planet, Food.com, TLC, and Travel Channel. Our Digital Studios team develops experiences on web, mobile, and voice that reach millions of users each day - inspiring them with ideas and tools to create their own unique world.
We’re looking for a Software Engineering Manager who enjoys guiding a team that builds world class CI/CD pipelines, cloud infrastructure, testing automation frameworks, and tools that maximize our developer’s efficiency. This role includes working with AWS Cloud Services, Jenkins, Chef, Selenium, Applitools, and our AEM Content Management System. The engineering manager will coach and collaborate with engineers of various specialties, project managers, and product managers both within and across our product development teams.
1. Drive projects aimed at reducing deployment times, improving deployment automation, improving developer productivity, increasing automated test coverage and reducing costs.
2. Create and manage a multi-application monitoring & alerting plan.
3. Create and share a monthly dashboard showing progress against goals
4. Accountable for the technical decisions and architecture. The role will be expected to code 25%-50% of the time.
5. Coach and develop engineers to grow their technical and professional skills
6. Able to coordinate well between a variety of vendors, technical experts, and groups
7. Communicates accurate status on work, progress, delays, or issues for the team
8. Mitigate roadblocks encountered by the engineers
9. Participate in recruiting and hiring efforts
10. Ensure a healthy work culture and environment
11. Participate in the on-call production support rotation (rare after-hours support)
• Experience automating infrastructure using AWS CloudFormation, Terraform, or similar
• Experience with writing understandable, testable code with an eye towards maintainability and scalability
• Working knowledge of CI/CD pipelines
• Experience with at least one object oriented languages (Java, C++, Python, Ruby, Swift, etc)
• Willingness to be objective and learn to use data to make informed decisions
• Experience mentoring and developing engineers
• Experience interviewing engineers and providing input into hiring decisions
• Proficiency communicating with non-technical stakeholders
• Knowledge of distributed version control systems such as Git.
• A continuous learning mindset
• Open minded about change and able to effectively manage transition
• Problem-solving attitude
• Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Nice to Have
• 4+ years experience with AWS
• 4+ years working with software testing frameworks
• 4+ years working with Java
• Experience working with Jenkins
• Experience working with enterprise scale consumer-facing websites and applications
• Experience in performance profiling and debugging tools across multiple web browsers.
• Development experience on the Adobe Experience Manager (AEM) platform
• A master’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.