Job ID 723931BR
ABC Studios seeks a qualified candidate for a VP, Drama Development role. In this the role, the person will represent the Studio’s creative interests and direct the development of drama series and pilots. They will ensure that our shows are at the highest possible quality with the time and resources available.
• Implement the creative strategy as defined by the senior leadership team to cultivate unique, compelling and brand appropriate scripted drama series.
• Provide specific feedback to production partners on creative at all stages of development to ensure the creative vision set out at development phase is carried through to production.
• Track, solicit, evaluate, procure, develop and oversee the production of scripted drama programming from pitch to pilot, which involves but is not limited to:
• Hearing pitches.
• Reading & giving notes on stories, outlines and scripts.
• Participating in hiring key cast and crew.
• Participating in key creative decisions regarding physical production.
• Visit sets for pilot shoots when needed to protect network interests.
• Watching cuts and giving notes.
• Staffing writers for series.
• Develop and maintain relationships with established talent (producers/production companies, studios, agencies, writers, directors, actors,), and identify the creators/show runners of tomorrow and actively pursue business with them.
• Interface with ABC Network on all production and programming issues to include, but not limited to:
• Ensuring that the Network and Studio priorities are in sync and being addressed by the internal partner at the Network.
• Collaborate to identify talent we should keep, and talent we should utilize in the future.
• Collaborate with other departments and department heads as appropriate, including Business Affairs, Legal, Program Planning & Scheduling, etc.
• Establish links to Marketing and Promotions and keep them informed about upcoming green lights and promising development.
• Seek direct feedback from SVP, Drama Development on work related priorities.
• Proactively manage the focus and the performance of assigned production pods.
• Proactively manage the performance of respective administrative assistants.
• 7 or more years of overall work experience in media and entertainment.
• Track record developing commercially successful and/or critically acclaimed drama series.
• Strong working knowledge of the business and creative aspects of development.
• Demonstrable writing skills and excellent knowledge of script and story structure.
• Strong relationships within the creative community – executives, agents, writers, producers, etc.
• Demonstrated knowledge of ABC audience and values, as well as knowledge of content and current series.
• Ability to communicate effectively to all levels of management.
• Ability to develop and mentor junior members of the team.
• A passionate commitment to quality entertainment.
• Available to go on location for projects that shoot outside of Los Angeles.
• A self-starter, who is assertive, enthusiastic and highly motivated.
• Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, innovative, and high energy environment.
• A team player who works well with others.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.