Job ID 711719BR
The WPVI-TV Assistant Director – Technology will be responsible for managing the day to day operations of the Technology department, alongside the Assistant Director – IT, and under the direction of the Executive Director – Technology. This includes the management of all technology staff, planning and execution of all local/division initiatives and projects, and overseeing all daily operations necessary to keep the station functioning optimally. The ideal candidate’s background will include a considerable amount of IT experience in addition to traditional Broadcast Engineering experience. This person will also function as the go-to person for all IT management needs in the absence of the Assistant Director – IT. In an ever-changing industry, this person is expected to be a creative innovator of technology and will be expected to help drive the department and station toward the future of broadcast/IT operations. WPVI, a Walt Disney Television station, is the market leader in local news and is leading the way in the digital, non-linear/OTT spaces by consistently innovating and creating new ways to reach its audiences.
• Clearly and consistently communicate ideas, concepts, and plans to all Technology staff
• Through effective communication, obtain unity and a consensus from staff for department goals
• Develop the staff to maximize each individual’s potential while broadening their skillsets
• Be proactive, constantly assessing how to improve operations of the department, all technical systems, and workflows used by news/production/creative staff
• Interface with other department heads and station staff, as necessary, to effectively represent the Technology department, its goals and initiatives
• Lead and assist in the planning, installation, configuration, and daily maintenance and troubleshooting of all Broadcast and IT systems
• Interface with third party vendors/support technicians and oversee their work, as necessary
• Lead, execute, and complete projects as directed
Qualifications & Requirements
The ideal candidate must:
• Have previously demonstrated the ability to lead and manage a technical staff (IT/Engineering).
• Have excellent interpersonal and communications skills, communicate thoroughly/effectively.
• Have strong organizational and time management skills.
• Possess strong IT/networking, engineering and problem-solving skills.
• Be able to show a track record of previously executed projects from concept to completion.
• Have demonstrated the ability to pivot and lead with changing priorities and tight deadlines.
• Be willing to expand their knowledge with trending broadcast industry concepts/technologies.
• 5+ years management experience of a technology-centric department
• Management experience in a television/broadcast/media facility with streaming/OTT
• A degree in a technical related field, appropriate certifications, and/or equivalent experience.