The Production Crew Manager will lead the charge in cultivating a strong culture that inspires and motivates our team of 50+ staff and 200+ temporary below-the-line crew members in Production, handling all facets of the employee life cycle (attraction, recruitment, hiring + onboarding, and training + development).
At the core of the role is maintaining a clear line of communication with our crew and overseeing their training + development. The Production Crew Manager will develop and administer talent assessments, regularly share feedback from a variety of stakeholders, and devise career development strategies for individual team members and departments.
This role supports the Director of Production and works closely with Production and Technical Management. The role also will be supported by crewing coordinators to manage personnel schedules according to our partners’ needs.
(Please note that this is a people management role, not a production management role. Our focus is on finding someone with a knack for leadership and nurturing talent.)
• Serve as partners’ primary point of contact for all crew-related requests
• Work with Production Management and Crewing Coordinators to match crewing requests with the best available talent, keeping in mind a breadth of programming and production needs
• Manage below-the-line production crew members (both staff and temporary), making every effort to ensure they remain informed, engaged, and motivated
• Create robust talent development curriculum in partnership with Director of Production
• Fill and nurture a diverse pipeline of high-potential technical crew prospects for each technical discipline through our new Production Apprentice program
• 6-8+ years of management and/or leadership development experience, preferably in media or a comparable creative industry
• Experience with a wide variety of production formats and deep, nuanced understanding of crew roles – and their associated skill sets – needed for in-studio or on-location productions
• Excellent people manager with a strong innate desire to develop the skills of and bring out the best in production craftspeople, both full-time staff and temporary employees
• Strong technical background to effectively translate partners’ creative needs into clear, measurable skill development roadmaps for our crew members’ technical capabilities
• Adept at building strong relationships with network production teams, directors, engineers, and technical managers alike