Rough Translation delivers intimate, personal narratives from people living against the backdrop of big events and issues -- from affirmative action to disinformation wars to the changing culture of education. These are carefully reported stories from diverse voices that help listeners see their world and their lives from a new perspective.
The Senior Editor is a key editorial position on a small, highly collaborative team. As Senior Editor, you will help conceive, assign and execute stories for the Rough Translation podcast as well as related broadcast and digital elements. You care about story structure, finding compelling characters, and sticking a landing. You write and support writing with flair and accuracy. You have a deep understanding of and love for narrative journalism.
This position is based at NPR’s New York Bureau.
• Performs the duties of Senior Editor, editing podcast and planning future stories.
• Edits podcast episodes and other content, as needed
• Writes and produces content to support show, as needed
• Active leader in pitch meetings, pitching specific stories as well themes/broader areas of coverage
• Assists host/reporters with prep for interviews and reporting assignments
• Assists host/reporters in organizing and focusing their stories throughout reporting, writing, editing and fact checking process
• Assists with future planning, development of host projects, and strategic partnerships
• Makes assignments and provides editorial guidance to staff.
• Reviews pitches from team and outside contributors to determine assignments
• Monitors show for overall balance, variety of stories and types of pieces
• Regularly provides constructive critiques of stories in personal meetings with staff and contributors.
• Is responsible for editorial integrity and quality of published products.
• Edits stories for continuity, integrity of journalism, quality of writing, manner of presentation, and consistency of style.
• Ensures that all materials aired meet NPR program standards and practices, including standards of fairness, objectivity, and balance.
Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
• At least eight years’ journalism experience
• Thorough knowledge of and passion for long-form narrative storytelling in the audio space
• Considerable skill in both news and feature editing
• Ability to work collaboratively with a highly creative team
• Ability to synthesize large amounts of information into actionable tasks and delegate effectively.
• Experience maintaining high journalistic standards under deadline pressure, including standards of objectivity, balance and fairness.
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system.
• Ability and willingness to work varied shifts.
• Ability to relocate. In the future, NPR may choose to transfer employees to other geographic locations. Severance provisions of the AFTRA collective bargaining agreement will apply should you choose not to accept a transfer.
• Broadcast experience strongly preferred.
• Demonstrated writing ability.
• Knowledge of basic and advanced principles of audio production for information and news programming.
• Experience with the type of audio production done at NPR.
• Experience in online journalism.
• Experience leading highly creative teams.
• Experience working in and/or knowledge of public radio and the public radio system.