KSN is looking for an experienced multi-media journalist ready to take their skills to the next level in a newsroom that fosters growth and development. Position requires daily reporting, shooting, editing, live shots and digital responsibilities. We are looking for someone to be an active member of the Wichita community. The right candidate will tell personal stories, hold officials accountable and develop sources. Must have strong social media engagement. Opportunities for advancement for those committed to their personal and professional development.
Now, about where you'll be living: the Wichita area. It's a hidden gem. Stunning cost of living, an underrated town full of good, friendly people, great restaurants, up and coming arts and culture scene and little traffic. If you are ready to come to a place where you practice your craft at a higher level working with a great team, you are invited to apply.
Report news and feature stories, blogs and other material originated by the reporter, as assigned, and read them accurately, clearly and concisely and in an engaging manner.
• Reports news stories for broadcast, describing the background and details of events
• Arranges interviews with people who can provide information about stories
• Reviews copy and corrects errors in content, grammar and punctuation, following prescribed editorial style and formatting guidelines
• Reviews and evaluates notes taken about event aspects to isolate pertinent facts and details
• Determines a story’s emphasis, length and format, and organizes material accordingly
• Researches and analyzes background information related to news stories to be able to provide complete and accurate information
• Gathers information about events through research, interviews, experience or attendance at political, news, sports, artistic, social or other functions
• Pitches stories to news managers and news producers which are relevant to the local community
• Receives assignments and evaluates leads and tips to develop story ideas
• Discusses issues with producers and/or news managers to establish priorities or positions
• Checks reference materials such as books, news files or public records to obtain relevant facts
• Revises work to meet editorial approval or to fit time requirements
• Shoots and edits news events and news reports
• Produces and presents reports for all platforms
• Ensures that all content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality
• Writes stories for the web and other eMedia platforms
• Interacts with viewers/users on social media sites
• Performs special projects and other duties as assigned
Requirements & Skills:
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
• Evaluate news leads and tips to develop story ideas. Gather and verify accurate information about newsworthy events by interview, investigation, or observation.
• Gather accurate and interesting information for newscast presentations.
• Produce accurate, complete and compelling news copy on deadline.
• Build network of sources who supply information that allows the Company to stay ahead of its competitors.
• Develop ideas for news, feature and enterprise pieces, as well as investigative stories.
• Present compelling, clear, creative and accurate live shots.
• Organize material, shoot and edit video and write stories based on the details and information obtained.
• Use various digital and social platforms to give updates and share news stories with the public.
• Play an active and visible role in the community.
• Solid vocal delivery, camera presence, and clear enunciation.
• Strong reporting skills.
• Understand importance of social media.
• Excellent reading, writing, spelling, grammar and organizational skills.
• Must be fluent in English - Bilingual/Spanish a plus.
• Promote teamwork and maintains attitude of cooperation with all station personnel
• Adept at ad-lib presentations, without aid of scripts and/or teleprompters.
• Possess exceptional research skills.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or related field, minimum of (2) two years of experience as on-air news reporter.
TRAINING/EQUIPMENT: Operate newsroom computer systems, editing and camera equipment.