The Louisville Courier Journal, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a digital producer. The producer provides editing, packaging and presentation across all platforms. He or she manages the on-time and accurate delivery of top quality content - with an emphasis on video, social and search engine optimization.
The producer works with digital team leadership, editors, reporters and visual journalists to best display content on all platforms, using news judgment and creativity. The successful candidate also collaborates to maximize social media presence. This person will be a team player who thrives in a fast-paced environment. This role may include early morning, night and/or weekend work.
Typical Job Duties
• Manage home pages to engage a loyal audience.
• Sends breaking news alerts and adds video, SEO meta-data, hyperlinks, images and additional digital content.
• Writes effective digital headlines and summaries that help attract audiences. Writes engaging social posts that attract audiences and encourage readers to interact with social content.
• Monitors a variety of social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, Reddit) in search of trending topics for content creation
• Executes creative social media and SEO strategies will the goal of targeting and growing new digital audiences
• Interacts with newsrooms across the USA TODAY Network – with a special emphasis on regional sites around the Midwest -- to help our best journalism reach the best audience.
• Optimizes, aggregates and packages assets for digital publication.
• Edits sensitive content for publication-readiness, including clarity, fairness, legality, spelling, grammar, punctuation and style.
• Uses metrics to monitor real-time data, determine traffic patterns and make changes tied to the data. Familiarity with Chartbeat and Adobe Analytics products a plus.
• Manages workflow to meet deadlines.
• Provides great customer service, working collaboratively to find solutions.
• Stays calm during breaking news situations.
The ideal candidate will have a bachelor's in communications, journalism or equivalent in experience and education. Previous experience in a newsroom is preferred.
• Advanced knowledge of social media platforms: (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, Reddit)
• Ability to identify digital trends
• Strong news judgment
• Knowledge of AP style
• SEO knowledge
• Writing and headline-writing skills
• Excellent communication skills
• Experience editing and producing social videos is highly desired
Louisville is Kentucky’s largest city with a proud history rooted to the Ohio River. The Courier Journal is a 10-time Pulitzer Prize-winning news organization in a metro area known for its world-class bourbon (and their numerous brands and distilleries); a rich, but affordable quality of life; a vibrant food, fun and outdoors scene; and Churchill Downs, home of the world-famous Kentucky Derby.