Meredith Corporation Inc. is seeking a highly experienced, capable, front-end-focused Senior Software Engineer to join its Consumer Engineering team and help transform how we create and tell stories across our over 40 iconic brands, including People, AllRecipes, InStyle, Martha Stewart Living and Better Homes & Gardens.
As a senior-level front-end developer, you will collaborate with product owners, project managers, QA testers and other software engineers to create new, engaging and useful audience experiences. You’ll work closely with stakeholders to understand requirements, build prototypes, and deliver world-class products and features. You’ll exercise your leadership skills by mentoring more junior developers.
• A communicator: Whether written or oral, your communication skills are outstanding in any context. Your interactions with stakeholders and coworkers move business forward in a dynamic, exciting, entrepreneurial working environment. You are as good – maybe better – at listening as you are at talking and writing.
• A problem-solver: You’re a results-oriented multi-tasker who runs toward a challenge. You’re able to work on multiple projects simultaneously and think independently. You are personally committed to completing a project with a conscientious attitude and good follow-through. You see to it that all assignments are completed correctly and uphold department and company standards.
• A leader: As a senior member of the engineering team, you are respected, and your counsel is sought by other developers and nontechnical partners. You advise management and help socialize business and technical strategic decisions to the team. You are an evangelist for coding best practices, style and good documentation.
• Accountable: You are the greatest critic of what you deliver. You are proud of your work, and you stand by it. You are humbled but not defeated by failure and accept it as a critical part of learning. You are honest and never blame or project frustrations onto others.
II. Essential Job Functions
• Accountabilities, Actions and Expected Measurable Results
• Feature implementation: Work closely with product owners, project management and tech leadership to plan and create new digital products, site features and enhancements.
• Maintenance: Investigate, troubleshoot, and implement fixes for bugs.
• Architecture: Participate in technical design of new and expanding systems and infrastructure.
• Review and testing: Review others’ code changes via pull requests, work closely with quality-assurance engineers to facilitate manual feature testing, contribute to automated test coverage.
• Requirements analysis: Consume nontechnical user stories, providing feedback when necessary, translating into technical documentation, and/or using as a basis for implementation.
• Mentoring: Pairing with junior- and mid-level developers, promoting good coding habits and best practices.
III. Minimum Qualifications and Job Requirements | All must be met to be considered.
• Bachelor’s degree
• 7+ years of professional Web development experience
Specific Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• 5+ years of experience with CSS3/SASS and HTML5.
• Knowledge of mobile-first, responsive Web site development
• Experience with NodeJS and the Express framework
• Experience with a templating language like Handlebars or Pug
• Comfort with modern js developer tools like npm and Webpack
• Familiarity with continuous integration and automation via tools like CircleCI and Jenkins
• Experience interacting with REST APIs
• Practical knowledge of a language other than Javawcript (PHP, Ruby, Python, etc.)
• Practical knowledge of Git, Github and version control
• Theoretical knowledge of Amazon Web Services
• Experience working within an agile methodology, using JIRA or similar management tools
• Ability to translate user stories into technical tasks
• Ability to estimate effort effectively
• Strong communication, analytical and problem-solving skills
• Leadership and mentoring skills