WXIA, TEGNA’s NBC station in Atlanta, is searching for an experienced and passionate Managing Editor of Digital Content to oversee the quality and production of editorial content across all 11Alive digital, mobile, app and social media platforms with an audience-first focus across all screens.
The Managing Editor reports to the Director of Digital Content and is a member of the Digital Management Team working to grow and engage 11Alive audiences across all screens. This person will help create content plans for daily news; develop ongoing projects; create and help execute content flow plans; and build leadership skills throughout the digital content team.
The ideal candidate utilizes social listening and is able to explain digital data to the news team and on The Bridge to help make editorial decisions. This person is a leader with a strong voice in the editorial meetings and in the newsroom championing accuracy and audience experience on all platforms.
• Works with the news digital team and digital management to coordinate daily digital news efforts working continually with broadcast Executive Producers for multiple-screen show experiences.
• Uses metrics and social listening to find, pitch and produce unique content and story angles.
• Directly manages a team of digital content producers
• Assigns daily stories and updates to Digital Producers.
• Coordinates and leads the digital content team efforts in daily content, original digital content and special projects focused on media rich, interactive digital experiences.
• Focuses on accuracy and balance in digital articles and social content through copy editing and training of staff
• Helps ensure content is maximized to drive KPIs (SEO headlines, related links, embeds).
• Holds morning and afternoon digital content team check-in meetings to establish assignments and workflow shift-to-shift.
• Helps lead the newsroom editorial meetings to make editorial decisions based on social listening, digital data and live metrics.
• Helps foster environment that champions original, digital-first content production
• Aggressively covers breaking news for digital/social platforms through breaking news alerts, live streams, social posts and web articles.
• Works closely with the digital team to make sure everyone understands all assignments and content being produced for all platforms.
• Works with the digital producers, show producers, content producers, multi-skilled journalists, photojournalists, reporters and anchors to create a multiple platform, 360 storytelling experiences.
• Trains editorial team in best digital and social practices to create engaging content that is specific to platforms.
• Assists with story planning and logistics to produce digital first, engaging storytelling through articles, videos, photo galleries, social media, push alerts, live streams and interactive elements
• Uses data to establish and manage push alert to app strategy
• Cultivates personal sources and relationships with experts.
• Minimum 5 years managing, producing and showcasing digital and social content in a newsroom
• Experience in a leadership position
• Skilled copy editor
• Understanding of copyright law, music rights and basic journalism legal principals
• Well versed in online metrics such as Google Analytics, Chartbeat, CrowdTangle, Facebook Insights, YouTube Analytics, etc.
• Working knowledge of Content Management Systems, Basic HTML, live stream technology and social media algorithms such as Facebook
• BS/BA in related field - journalism, communications, broadcast