Context/Scope of Position:
With over 350 TB of data in each film we produce, managing data is a business-critical function for DreamWorks Animation and the responsibility of the Data Services team. The team takes pride in its DevOps culture and SRE mindset, combining our expertise in database administration and systems engineering to build creative solutions to operational problems.
The SRE will work with DBAs and platform engineers to design and build a large-scale, distributed, fault-tolerant database-as-a-service platform. In this role you have the opportunity to leverage your technical skills in systems management, cloud-native design, and software engineering to provide best-practices guidance and tier-3 support to the Digital Operations and Research and Development teams.
• Work in a cross-functional team to design and implement a scalable database-as-a-service platform.
• Leverage Kubernetes operators and Spinnaker pipelines to automate the deployment and administration of databases across multiple cloud environments.
• Design and build RESTful microservices enabling the application of role-based access control, network policies, and service registration.
• Define workflows and processes to meet Infrastructure-as-Code objectives.
• Integrate chaos engineering practices and assist in the development of a full-stack, continuous testing environment.
• Drive the rollout of IPv6 across all data services.
• Actively facilitate continuous improvement.
• Monitor various systems capacity and health indicators and trends.
• Provide 24x7 tier-3 troubleshooting and break-fix support for production services.
• 3-5 years of relevant work experience.
• Strong software engineering skills, preferably working in multiple programming languages (Go, Python).
• Proficiency in cloud-native technologies and architectures (Docker, Kubernetes, OpenShift).
• Strong understanding of distributed systems and stateful applications.
• Proficiency in revision control and DevOps best practices (Git).
• Expert Linux experience (Red Hat, CentOS).
• Experience with public or private cloud services (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud, OpenStack).
• Familiarity with continuous integration/deployment tools and platforms (Spinnaker, Drone, Jenkins, Terraform).
• Sound knowledge of SQL and NoSQL databases (PostgreSQL, Cassandra, Couchbase, ElasticSearch).
• Familiarity with Kubernetes Persistent Volumes and Container Storage Interface (Trident, Portworx).
• Contributions to open source projects.
• Speaking engagements or regular attendance at technology meetups.
• Articulate and personable with strong spoken and written language skills.
• Ability to communicate effectively with non-technical coworkers.
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
• Broad and deep knowledge with an ability to learn quickly.
• Responsible, self-motivated, and highly dependable.
• Strong team player with a customer service orientation.
• Ethical, honest, fair and of high integrity.