A thriving, mission-driven multimedia organization, NPR produces award-winning news, information, and music programming in partnership with hundreds of independent public radio stations across the nation. The NPR audience values information, creativity, curiosity, and social responsibility – and our employees do too. We are innovators and leaders in diverse fields, from journalism and digital media to IT and development. Every day, our employees and member stations touch the lives of millions worldwide.
The NPR Digital Media product team is where the rubber meets the road. It’s where ideas move from thoughts to pixels to actual products and services that delight our digital audience. We work with a world-class team to make sure our products are used by millions. With a focus on our audience, and through partnership with teams across the entire NPR ecosystem, especially Member Stations, we're finding new ways to reach, engage and activate our growing audience and drive value for our entire digital network.
As Product Manager - Editorial Tools, you will own the product roadmap for the tools we provide to the editorial staff at NPR and Member stations to help them drive personalized experiences for our audience across channels. You will work closely with peers in design, technology, project management and editorial to set priorities and ensure a smart, ambitious product vision. You will build relationships with users at NPR and our Member stations and become a subject matter expert in their publishing needs, while at the same time ensuring we are delivering the right content to our users.
• Reports directly to the Director Product Management - Publisher and collaborates with all digital and editorial leadership to establish priorities and develop a strategy for NPR publishing tools
• Own the overall product plan and roadmap for the toolset that allows editorial staff to create, manage, program and monitor the performance of editorial playlists or flow.
• Iterate with design and insights teams on research and market analysis to integrate new and innovate product requirements into roadmap that drive increased audience engagement.
• Be the thought leader in partnership with editorial on how content curation and how machine learning can be leveraged to drive personalized audience experiences.
• Partner with the entire build team (design, engineering, product) and editorial to establish requirements that deliver the best possible user experience.
• Collaborate with NPR’s business, editorial, operations, member partnership and project management teams to ensure that all new opportunities are evaluated, tested and rolled out together.
• Define metrics and systems to track product performance. Clearly communicate performance and use data to evaluate and prioritize roadmap.
• Engage with NPR News, Programming and Member Stations regularly to maintain expert level understanding of their publishing, distribution and audience engagement problems and how NPR’s digital products can solve for them
• Contribute to a culture of collaboration and inclusion across all disciplines
What We Are Looking For
• Excellent customer experience intuition – demonstrated success in creating innovative, user-friendly websites and/or mobile applications.
• Strong analytical and quantitative skills – extreme comfort with data-driven decision making and performing financial and operational analysis.
• Implementation proficiency – ability to translate strategic differentiators into innovative and detailed product requirements.
• Excellent communication skills – demonstrated success for building buy-in for innovate and bold product vision.
• Technical aptitude– ability to understand and discuss architectural concepts, schedule tradeoffs and new opportunities with technical team members.
• 3+ years experience in product management
• Familiarity with the digital media industry
• Experience working on agile enabled teams
• Experience building and launching B2B products
• Proven work with data scientists and machine learning engineers and understanding of when to apply machine learning to drive product experiences.
• Fluent with the challenges facing journalism organizations in the digital media space
• Passion for public media’s digital future