Prepares and reports on traffic and transit conditions.
• Focuses on providing timely and useful information to commuters planning their drives to and from work, as well as to those already en route by maintaining contact with external sources of information.
• Announces the latest accidents and traffic delays.
• Canvasses local, state and national traffic news to determine significance and prioritization.
• Identifies, researches, and creates copy regarding traffic to feature during on-air shift.
• Manages gathered information: keeps all the facts straight, makes sure details are accurate and current, and tracks any changes.
• Maintains crucial deadlines in order to provide traffic updates in a timely fashion.
• May be required at some point to report live on location from a land or air vehicle to describe what is being viewed and how it impacts commuters in that area.
• May prepare written content, visual images, audio material and video footage for websites, blogs or other social-media platforms.
• May require flexibility in work schedules.
• Position entails being embedded in a Baltimore TV station.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office suite, social networking platforms and audio production software
• Knowledgeable with local coverage area geography and roadways, mass transit and traffic patterns
• Pleasant, charismatic and well-controlled voice; excellent pronunciation
• Adept at working in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented, “newsroom-like” collaborative environment
• Excellent writing and editing skills; proficient in grammar
• Strong attention to detail, following up until issues are resolved
• Ability to plan and organize, set priorities, and multi task in a fast-paced environment
• Understanding of police scanners a plus
• May require other language proficiency, e.g., Spanish
• 4+ years’ experience in on-camera TV or on-air radio experience in a large or medium market
• 4-year college degree, preferably in Broadcast Journalism or Communications
• None required