The Clarion-Ledger/clarionledger.com in Jackson, Mississippi, a part of the USA TODAY NETWORK and a Pulitzer Prize-winning newspaper is the largest media site in Mississippi. We are searching for a trending sports reporter to join our ranks.
A successful candidate must demonstrate strong news judgment and should have prior digital news experience. You should be a strong collaborator who can work both independently to cover specific assignments and closely with a team of other reporters, editors and producers.
This role may include early morning, night and/or weekend work.
A great trending sports reporter is interested in a little bit of everything and has an insatiable curiosity about sports, the teams, the players and the fans. The position demands initiative, accuracy, urgency and insight. You should be comfortable taking photos and video, as well as using social media to cover stories in real time.
This position demands strong news judgement and the ability to find and identify stories and trends that are immediate, important and influential. Quick writing and reporting skills are also important.
• Report quickly, clearly and accurately and deliver news, via stories, video, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or any other methods available to reach our audience.
• Help optimize stories for digital and print platforms.
• Use metrics to inform story choices and shape beat strategies.
• Identifies top sports stories of the day, based on analytics and audience potential.
• Write and/or produce multimedia content that appeals to key audience targets and maximizes user experience on digital and social platforms to reach readers where they spend their time and attention.
• Jump on breaking news. Research, write, report, photograph, video and/or voice a variety of stories.
• Engage on social media with sources and audience.
• Experiment with new ways of informing and engaging audiences on social platforms and alternate story forms.
• Monitor real-time events — including during games (big plays, injuries, call-outs, etc.) — and sniff out the most important and fascinating stories important to our audiences.
• Pursue enterprise work to uncover stories that no one else is reporting.
• Demonstrate fast news judgement on an ongoing basis.
• This position may also help with some print planning throughout the week.
• Bachelor's or Master’s in Communications, Journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience. We will also consider candidates with strong internships.
• Minimum of 1-2 years’ reporting/newsroom experience, preferred.
• Adept at taking photos and video and will file quickly across platforms: mobile, desktop and social media.
• Strong command of AP grammar and style.
• Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
• Passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
• Comfortable in fluid, fast-breaking, stressful situations.
• A desire to grow and develop a key beat in our newsrooms.
• Comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
• Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
• Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
• Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
• Able to work occasional late nights or weekends as needed by the news cycle.
• This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.