• Work as a member of the station’s engineering team and the division’s technology team to implement state of the art technical facilities at a competitive television station. Brainstorm and develop, with the assistance of other team members, new solutions for news operations and television transmissions. Interface with news and Production Operations employees to troubleshoot time-critical applications and systems
• Maintain the technical integrity of the NBC Boston operating facilities including but not limited to the control room, studios, transmission, newsgathering, and production equipment. Respond to facility outages and perform basic maintenance on building systems, on-air systems and ethernet, fiber networks and systems. Install, repair and maintain digital and high-definition broadcast equipment as well as computer and IT equipment associated with the operation and the broadcast signals and office functions of the station. Support IT manager with IT projects and maintenance on all company IT systems.
• Respond to employees’ requests regarding tools and resources they need for their job. Determine solutions through process improvements with existing technology or purchasing new equipment. Research equipment and determine whether it appropriately supports our technical facility, improves the operation, streamlines a process or reduces errors. Identify solutions where new equipment may result in savings to the company. Examine all solutions to ensure implementation – process improvement or new equipment – is cost efficient.
• Implement, support and evaluate popular applications used by Mac and PC environments. Develop, prepare and install computers, software and server solutions as required. Provide documentation and training for newly implemented systems to end-users, where appropriate. Work closely with management to prioritize and balance business goals with information system requirements and resources. Support network users in daily computer software and hardware needs. Support current wireless environment in newsroom, sales and administration with strong ability to troubleshoot wireless networks. Troubleshoot and repair advanced Ethernet and fiber networks and systems including corporate LANs, high-speed routers, file-shares, mobile devices, laptops, desktops, etc.
• Knowledge of safety procedures
• Ability to perform unit functions on a regular basis
• Must be a self-starter who is results oriented
• Ability to lift and carry 50+ pounds of gear
• Minimum Bachelors or Associates degree in Computer Science or equivalent professional experience.
• Skills in video and audio production as related to Mac or PC environment and knowledge of internet based video products such as Skype
• Knowledge of .bat file, visual basic, xml and html programming
• Knowledge of current wireless, cell, android and Apple applications and use
• Interested candidates must submit a resume/CV through nbcunicareers.com to be considered
• Willingness to work night shifts and weekends
• Willingness to travel and work overtime with short notice
• Must be willing to work at the station in Newton, MA
• Ability to work any of a 24/7 shift, holidays, weekends and respond to breaking news events.
• Must be willing to submit to a background investigation
• Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
• Must be 18 years or older
• Must have a valid driver’s license
• B.S. Engineering, Information Technology or related field.
• Ability to alternate from detailed work to client interaction spontaneously
• A sense of urgency and desire to learn emerging technologies
• Demonstrates an understanding of news operations, control systems, transmission, videotape, and server based workflows and microwave and satellite systems.