Bloomberg TV delivers business news, insights and analysis to more than 360 million homes worldwide - 24/7. We're looking for an experienced broadcast engineer to join our EMEA engineering support team. You will have the opportunity to work within a busy environment based out of Bloomberg's RIBA Stirling Prize winning European headquarters, supporting EMEA TV production, as well as collaborating with our global engineering teams.
This is a shift-based role which will include night shifts, but is weighted towards day shifts.
The EMEA team is responsible for all aspects of the state-of-the-art broadcasting infrastructure, from cameras on the studio, to transmission playout to uplink sites & third parties, and everything in between.
As an engineer, you’ll need to be proactive and able to work independently in high pressure situations and as part of a team during busier production hours. You should possess the excellent troubleshooting skills that will enable you to quickly identify and repair a fault, and have a desire to learn more about new trends & technologies within the broadcasting industry.
Communication skills are also vital: Shift handovers and the sharing of knowledge within the engineering team, ensuring stakeholders within the wider TV team are informed on the latest developments, and working with other Bloomberg departments using the Bloomberg Terminal/ticketing systems are all key.
We’ll trust you to:
• Carry out pre-show checks to ensure TV and radio studios are ready for daily programming, liaising with operational teams in the event of any faults
• Maintain a global network of IP point-to-point codecs, and work with the Bloomberg Network team on the diagnosis and resolution of faults
• Support of newsroom, production and playout software (including ENPS, VizRT, Adobe Creative Suite, Pebble Beach Marina/Dolphin)
• Respond to system monitoring to pro-actively fix hardware problems and raise support cases for replacement components (HPE, Arista)
• Troubleshoot issues using documentation to trace faults through various IT, video and networking systems
• Liaise with APAC and US engineering teams to maintain and support global systems
• Remote support of edit clients/users, and standalone robotic camera positions
• Maintenance of IP TX/web streaming output for internal/external customers, as well as third party broadcasters
You'll need to be/have:
• BSc degree (Broadcast Engineering, Media Technology, Computer Science, Computer Networks, etc.) or equivalent experience
• Strong troubleshooting and prioritisation skills are a necessity to repair faults during downtime, but equally to be able to identify and minimise on-air faults/risks
• Strong knowledge of broadcast AV (baseband video & IP) systems/hardware and video workflows
• Comfortable supporting IT systems (workstations and servers), and be familiar with Windows enterprise roles and features
• Familiarity of networks and networking equipment (CCNA or equivalent experience) is desirable)
• Some understanding of SQL & SQL Server