TEGNA is looking for a strong storyteller who can own the immigration/border security beat. We need a creative thinker who understands the news and issues along the US-Mexico border and the far-reaching impacts beyond the border, itself. The ideal journalist must be an excellent writer who can write, shoot, and edit stories under deadline pressure and is willing to embrace non-traditional methods of storytelling for all platforms. The ideal candidate will be flexible to work alone, with a photographer, or with another reporter.
The ideal journalist for this position has proven experience developing sources and contacts to break news on border issues and generate unique, original content about life on the border that will be shared across TEGNA’s 49 stations, including 11 in Texas.
This position is based in the Rio Grande Valley, and will work daily with the WFAA (Dallas) editorial team on story selection and production. The journalist will also work with other TEGNA stations to produce stories, as needed.
Candidates must speak English and Spanish. A minimum of four years of reporting experience is preferred.
In this role, you will:
• Enterprise and develop unique, original content on topics including immigration, border security, and other issues related to life on the US-Mexico border.
• Dig into complex and important border issues and their impacts
• Develop reliable sources and contacts in general and specialized areas of interest.
• Write in an exciting, captivating and authentic manner for multiple platforms.
• Write and post daily on all digital platforms including social media.
• Enterprise investigative stories.
• Shoot, write and edit packaged reports.
• Write for the web, including attaching images and streaming video.
• Use creative production techniques such as graphics and new forms of media (viewer pictures, webcam interviews, etc.) to enhance stories.
• Transmit and present exciting live reports with current technology.
• Perform other tasks as required by supervisor or executive producer.
• BA/BS in journalism, communications or related field
• 4+ years of experience preferred
• Experience with CAP, LexisNexis and NICAR
• Bilingual (English & Spanish)
• Understanding of topics including, but not limited to border security and immigration
• Experience in photojournalism, editing, and content management systems
• Understanding of the tenets of professional journalism
• A portfolio with examples of strong breaking news reporting
• Ability to generate creative, engaging, content-driven live shots
• Strong social media skills, including an active news hound presence on Twitter and Facebook
• Knowledge of ENPS, Edius and Axis graphics a plus
• Organizational skills and the ability to work under constant time pressure deadlines
• Ability to calmly handle live, breaking news situations and changing events
• Demonstrated experience writing, reporting, shooting, and editing video
• Experience with “spot news”- proven ability to react quickly to breaking events
• Strong communication skills (written/oral) for on-air delivery
• Proven ability to work under pressure while meeting daily assigned deadlines
• Ability to interact productively & positively within different environments
• Applicable knowledge of multiplatform news gathering tools and resources including digital media
• Valid driver’s license and good driving record