KARD FOX 14/KTVE NBC 10 in West Monroe, LA is looking for a full-time Digital First Reporter. This is the perfect job for an experienced, hardworking, ambitious, self-directed journalist. Day to day, the Digital First Reporter will file a steady stream of original stories to our website that break news, shed light on hot topics, dig deeper into details and background of breaking stories, and call attention to issues not yet on the agenda. A candidate with experience with filing FOIAs, developing relationships with local government leaders, data mining, & research.
A Bachelor’s degree in Journalism is required. Experience in journalism, either at online publications or newspapers is preferred.
Exceptional writing skills and mature judgment are both a must. Familiarity with AP Style writing & digital publication are a plus. Our next Digital First Reporter will produce segments which are original stories exclusive to our digital platform. He or she will have a strong understanding of how to effectively use social media to publicize stories and to connect with the audience.
We are a small but determined newsroom, looking to create journalistic excellence in Northeast Louisiana. NO PHONE CALLS.
NOTE: This job description contains the basic requirements for the position and is NOT intended to be a complete list of responsibilities; other duties may be assigned.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Complete understanding of Facebook, Twitter, and other social media platforms.
• Reviews copy and will correct errors in content, grammar, and punctuation, following prescribed editorial style and formatting guidelines.
• Use our Social Media and Website to build and reinforce brand recognition and drive viewers to television
• Determines a story's emphasis, length, and format, and organizes material accordingly.
• Will research and analyze background information related to news stories in order to be able to provide complete and accurate information.
• Gathers information about events through research, interviews, experience or attendance at political, news, sports, artistic, social or other functions.
• Pitches on-brand local and trending stories during morning meetings.
• Checks reference materials such as books, news files, or public records to obtain relevant facts. This includes getting public records through FOIA requests.
• Shoots and edits content for on-air and digital.
• Produces reports for all platforms.
• Ensures that all content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality.
• Writes stories for the web and other digital platforms.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Finds new ways to use Social Media and our website to engage with viewers
Requirements & Skills:
• Bachelor’s degree in Broadcast Journalism, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience
• Fluency in English
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written with the ability to ad lib when required
• Minimum two years’ experience in news reporting (Depending on market size)
• Superior on-air presence
• Proficiency with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, fax machines and other office equipment
• Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
• Valid driver’s license with a good driving record
• Flexibility to work any shift
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
The Digital First Reporter must be able to sit, conduct telephone conversations, use electronic mail, write letters and memos, conduct face-to-face discussions with individuals or groups, make decisions without supervision, make decisions that impact the results of co-workers, work near others, work outdoors occasionally in all weather conditions, and work indoors in environmentally controlled conditions. In addition, the Multimedia Journalist Reporter must be able to lift, set up and operate equipment weighing up to 25 pounds, and be able to handle, control or feel objects, tools or controls. Repetitive movements are required. Work may be conducted in extremely bright or inadequate lighting conditions.